The SceneMeeting house put to use

  • DAR members and guest sing hymns during at Vespers service at the Allenstown Meeting House. —Courtesy

  • The Old Allenstown Meeting House has a rare slanted floor to make it easier for people to view the pulpit. —Courtesy

Saturday, August 13, 2016

The Buntin-Rumford Webster Concord Chapter of the New Hampshire Daughters of the American Revolution sponsored a Vesper Service at the Old Allenstown Meeting House last weekend.

About 25 chapter members, friends and visitors attended this annual event co-sponsored by the Allenstown Society.

The building’s historical marker reads: “Built in 1815 for both religious and town meetings, this rare example of a one-story meeting house has slanted floors that offer a clear view of its simple pulpit. The building housed services of the Christian sect until about 1860, and evangelical camp meetings until 1886, but ceased to be used for town meetings in 1976. The town deeded it to Buntin Chapter, Daughters of the American Revolution in 1908. Buntin Chapter’s restoration of the building was a pioneering effort at historic preservation.”

Visiting organist George Bozeman played the old pump organ leading the attendees in hymn singing. The Rev. Janice Howe, pastor of the First Presbyterian Church in Antrim, provided an inspiring message.