×

Dunbarton fire renders home uninhabitable, kills three dogs

  • Courtesy—



Monitor staff
Friday, December 29, 2017

The Dunbarton Fire Department responded to a house fire Thursday night in frigid temperatures that left three dogs dead.

The fire department was alerted to the fire when a neighbor saw smoke coming from the house at 15 Stephanie Road about 5 p.m. Thursday night, Dunbarton fire Chief Jonathan Wiggin said.

The owner of the home had left for work a few hours earlier, and wasn’t inside when the fire started. Firefighters were able control the fire in about 20 minutes, Wiggin said. Public records list Kara McTiernan as the owner of the property.

Wiggin said a neighbor warned his crew when they arrived that pets may be inside the home. He said he opened the house’s front door in an effort to coax the dogs out, but none came. He said the pets were larger animals of two different breeds, one being a pitbull mix.

The Dunbarton Fire Department was aided by Bow, Goffstown, Weare and Concord crews.

Concord fire Chief Dan Andrus said he stopped by the scene shortly after the first crews arrived and saw that the blaze was already mostly contained.

“They did a tremendous job saving the structure,” Andrus said.

Fighting fires in the winter can be tricky, Andrus said. Crews have to bundle up to avoid frostbite and hypothermia, and be careful to avoid slipping on the ice when working outside, he said.

Crews remained at the scene until 8 p.m. Thursday night. Wiggin said there wasn’t much structural damage, but that the interior of the house was heavily damaged. The home is currently uninhabitable until further clean up, Wiggin said.

“The interior is repairable, but it’s going to take a while,” he said.

The cause of the fire is believed to be electrical, Wiggin said. The fire started in the kitchen, and was confined to neighboring rooms, he said. Foul play is not suspected.