×

OSHA fines firm $11,409 after worksite death in Concord

  • The driveway construction site of a Sunset Avenue home in Concord in seen on Friday, Aug. 19, 2016. A worker died after being struck by a construction vehicle. (ELIZABETH FRANTZ / Monitor staff) Elizabeth Frantz



Monitor staff
Wednesday, October 18, 2017

A local paving and excavation company has agreed to pay $11,409 in fines to the federal government for safety violations found by regulators following the death of a man at a Concord work site last year.

The federal Occupational Safety and Health Administration opened an investigation into William Young Excavating and Site Work LLC after Brian Sullivan, 45, of Pittsfield died from work-related injuries on Aug. 18, 2016.

Concord police said Sullivan was pinned between two construction vehicles – a compact track loader and a dump truck – at 12 Sunset Ave., where workers were constructing a private driveway. Sullivan suffered life-threatening injuries and was taken by ambulance to Concord Hospital, where he later died.

A two-month investigation by police found no criminal wrongdoing.

Months after the accident, the Chichester company reached a settlement agreement with OSHA. William Young Excavating is paying $475 a month over 23 months; the final payment of $484 is due Feb. 1, 2019.

The company faces three serious workplace safety violations, each resulting in a fine of $3,803.

An OSHA investigation found that William Young Excavating did not have “a competent person” inspect the compact track loader involved in the accident to ensure it was operating safely, according to the agreement. There were also no routine inspections of the job site for hazardous working conditions.

Further, employees were not trained on how to recognize safety hazards when working near large equipment, the agreement says. Workers were also not given bright-colored or reflective clothing to make them stand out to others operating that equipment.

The compact track loader that struck Sullivan did not have a working backup alarm at the time of the accident, OSHA said.

2017 has been a hazardous year for construction workers in New Hampshire. OSHA has opened investigations into four construction-related fatalities in the state since May, one of which occurred in Webster in August.

John Davis, 55, of Concord died when a construction vehicle he was operating went down an embankment and rolled on top of him, Webster police said. Merrill Construction was paving a driveway at 8 Deer Meadow Road in the town.

OSHA’s investigation into any workplace violations at that job site is ongoing.

(Alyssa Dandrea can be reached at 369-3319, adandrea@cmonitor.com or on Twitter @_ADandrea.)