×

Police seek warrants for two assault cases out of Belmont on Sunday 



Monitor staff
Wednesday, January 24, 2018

Belmont police were looking Tuesday to arrest two individuals involved in unrelated assault cases that occurred on Sunday.

In one case, Lt. Richard Mann said police responded to a report early Sunday morning that three strangers had broken into a resident’s home on Route 106, beat him and forced him to open a safe with firearms inside, which they stole.

The men also stole the resident’s truck, a 2002 Chevy Avalanche. The truck was later found burning in Salisbury.

Mann said an anonymous tip helped police identify one man who was an “active participant” in the attack. Police are in the early stages of obtaining a warrant for that man’s arrest.

Mann said the other two attackers have yet to be identified.

In the other case, Mann said officers found a 34-year-old Belmont resident walking near Main Street and Route 140 covered with blood.

Officers determined that the bloodied man, who said he had been in an argument with another man, had been struck in the head with a baseball bat.

The injured man was transported to Lakes Region General Hospital where his wound was closed with surgical staples. He was released from the hospital later that day.

Police said they have identified the man’s attacker and are seeking an arrest warrant for first-degree assault and criminal threatening.

Mann asked that anyone with information about either of these two incidents to contact the Belmont Police Department.

(Leah Willingham can be reached at 369-3322, lwillingham@cmonitor.com or on Twitter @LeahMWillingham.)