M/cloudy
24°
M/cloudy
Hi 33° | Lo 7°

Pipe thawing causes Derry apartment building fire

Officials say a landlord using a propane torch to thaw frozen pipes in the subzero temperatures sparked a fire that damaged an apartment building in Derry.

Officials said the occupants were out of the house when firefighters arrived yesterday morning. A woman with a history of respiratory problems was treated and taken to Parkland Medical Center.

Fire crews were able to quickly knock down the fire and dismantled several exterior and interior walls to keep it from spreading.

Since the piping and electrical system have been damaged, the two apartments cannot be lived in.

The American Red Cross is helping the five adults find temporary housing.

Legacy Comments0
There are no comments yet. Be the first!
Post a Comment

You must be registered to comment on stories. Click here to register.