Cloudy
46°
Cloudy
Hi 52° | Lo 29°

Ice from roof causes gas leak at Pinkerton Academy

A New Hampshire fire department said there were no injuries when a chunk of ice fell off a roof at Pinkerton Academy in Derry, breaking a natural gas meter and releasing the gas.

The Derry Fire Department said crews were sent to Pinkerton Academy just after 2 p.m. yesterday.

Emergency crews were told school staff heard the ice fall off the roof, followed by a loud bang when the ice hit the meter. The sound was immediately followed by the smell of gas and school officials initiated their emergency plan, evacuating nearby buildings.

Firefighters shut off the gas. People were allowed to return to the buildings after about 20 minutes.

There were no injuries and the only damage was to the gas meter.

There are no comments yet. Be the first!
Post a Comment

You must be registered to comment on stories. Click here to register.