Woman sues, saying chia powder caused salmonella
A Colorado woman has filed suit against Navitas Naturals of California, saying she contracted salmonella from the company’s chia powder.
Carolyn Marie Shirley of Fort Collins filed the lawsuit last week in federal court in Denver.
The suit says Shirley was diagnosed with salmonella after getting sick in March. It says she began consuming Navitas’s chia powder in December 2013.
The federal Centers for Disease Control and Prevention said this month Navitas and other companies have recalled chia powder linked to salmonella illness.
Navitas said it is working with federal and California health officials.
The CDC says 21 people in 12 states have been sickened with salmonella linked to chia powder. Canada is investigating similar illnesses.
Chia powder often is added to smoothies and other foods for health benefits.