Former officer in hit and run released from jail
A Manchester police officer who was sentenced to a year in jail for leaving the scene after he struck two teens with his unmarked police car has been released after less than three months.
WMUR reported the jail superintendent released former Manchester police Sgt. Stephen Coco on a daily reporting program requiring him to phone in.
Coco had been charged with conduct after an accident. Prosecutors said he was off-duty March 22, 2013, when he struck the teens from behind, injuring them.
Coco said he hadn’t left home that night, but the police said his SUV had front-end damage.
Coco said there’s no chance he will re-offend. But state attorneys have challenged the superintendent’s decision.
The judge took the matter under advisement and will release a ruling.