Former Northfield construction owner indicted for tax evasion
A former Northfield man has been indicted by a federal grand jury on three counts of tax evasion.
Ronald Martin, 66, of Hill is charged with failing to report $400,000 in business earnings from 2008 and 2010. Martin owned and operated Martin Construction during that time. He was arrested Thursday.
According to the indictments, Martin deposited only a fraction of his earnings into the business’s bank account. He diverted the rest to a third party, the indictments allege.
Martin was arraigned in U.S. District Court in Concord on Thursday. He pleaded not guilty and was released under supervision.
The charges were the result of a joint investigation between the Internal Revenue Service and the office of U.S. Attorney John Kacavas.
Martin’s attorney, William Christie, was unavailable yesterday to comment.
Martin has an extensive criminal history and has previously been incarcerated, records show. He was convicted in 1993 of eight counts of aggravated felonious sexual assault, as well as several other charges dating back to 1975, according to state police records. He is a registered sex offender.
Martin was charged with several misdemeanors for illegal dumping in 2009. The attorney general’s office said at the time that he had discarded solid waste on a residential property in Northumberland. The case went to trial and Martin was found not guilty on all counts, a court clerk said yesterday.
(Jeremy Blackman can be reached at 369-3319, email@example.com or on Twitter @JBlackmanCM.)