Hi 53° | Lo 37°

Northwood teenager Haley Martin reported dead in Concord

A Northwood teenager arrested last week in connection with a graffiti incident was reported dead in Concord on Tuesday, the police said.

Haley Martin’s death is under investigation by the Concord police, who wouldn’t comment yesterday on a possible cause.

“We’re trying to interview anyone who may have knowledge of her last hours to put that together and get information,” said Concord police Lt. Timothy O’Malley. “We’re not looking at this as a homicide or anything like that. But we are investigating to get more information about what happened.”

O’Malley said the state medical examiner’s office performed an autopsy on the 19-year-old yesterday but wouldn’t comment on whether the police had received the results. A message left with the medical examiner’s office went unreturned late yesterday afternoon.

The police learned of Martin’s death from Concord Hospital, which notified them at 4:30 p.m. Tuesday, O’Malley said.

O’Malley, who said he didn’t know how long Martin had been at the hospital, would not comment on why the hospital contacted the police.

“Typically, any time the hospital has concerns, they have protocol where they might call us. In this particular case, they had some concerns,” O’Malley said.

The police are confident Martin died in Concord, O’Malley said. He would not provide specifics about the location or possible circumstances.

Martin was arrested Oct. 15 on a number of charges, including punching a Concord police officer in the head. The officer tried to stop Martin and Adam Fowler, 23, of Concord, after spotting Fowler tagging a Dumpster near Storrs Street with graffiti, according to a police affidavit.

Martin, who was watching nearby, ran from the officer, then punched the officer once she was caught, according to the affidavit. She was charged with simple assault, resisting arrest or detention and criminal liability for the conduct of another, as well as possession of controlled drugs and unlawful possession of alcohol. An arraignment was scheduled for Nov. 19, and Martin was free on personal recognizance bail.

Martin’s father said yesterday afternoon that he hadn’t been given any answers about his daughter’s death.

“I know the police are looking at a number of things, and we’re anxious to find out,” Glenn Martin said. “She was a great kid.”

Haley Martin graduated from Coe-Brown Northwood Academy and had been living with her parents, her father said.

He said Martin recently got involved with photography and has taken “lots and lots of neat pictures.”

“At this point, we’re just kind of numb,” Glenn Martin said. “We don’t have any clue what happened . . . other than the fact that our beautiful daughter is gone.”

(Maddie Hanna can be reached at 369-3321 or or on Twitter @maddiehanna.)

Legacy Comments0
There are no comments yet. Be the first!
Post a Comment

You must be registered to comment on stories. Click here to register.