Concord man accused of fatally shooting father waives probable cause hearing
A Concord man accused of murdering his father in Manchester last month waived his right to a probable cause hearing yesterday, allowing the case to be forwarded directly to Hillsborough County Superior Court.
Evan Smith, 29, was not present in Manchester’s district court yesterday. He will continue to be held without bail.
The police have charged Smith, who lives in an apartment complex at 20 Bog Road, with shooting his father in the back of the head Oct. 26. Officials said officers found the body of 61-year-old Phillip Smith about 11 a.m. in his apartment at 519 Hevey St. in Manchester.
Senior Assistant Attorney General Janice Rundles has declined to comment on who called the police, but she said investigators believe the father was shot about 7:30 a.m. that day.
Evan Smith has been charged with second-degree murder, meaning the attorney general’s office believes he knowingly and recklessly committed murder and showed an “extreme indifference to the value of human life.” Rundles said the charge was the most conservative prosecutors thought the evidence supported, adding that the charge could be upgraded.
(Tricia Nadolny can be reached at 369-3320 or