Concord man charged with murdering father waives right to probable cause hearing
A Concord man accused of murdering his father in Manchester last month waived his right to a probable cause hearing this morning, allowing the case to be forwarded directly to Hillsborough County Superior Court.
Evan Smith was not present today for the hearing in Manchester’s district court. The police have charged Smith – who lives in an apartment complex at 20 Bog Road in Concord – with shooting his father, 61-year-old Phillip Smith, in the back of the head. The police say officers found Phillip Smith’s body at about 11 a.m. Oct. 26 in his apartment at 519 Hevey St. in Manchester.
Senior Assistant Attorney General Janice Rundles has declined to comment on who called the police, but said investigators believe the father was shot around 7:30 a.m. that day.
That same day officials issued an alert calling Evan Smith a “person of interest.” Rundles said while that alert was lifted a few hours later when the police located him, Evan Smith was not charged until the following afternoon.
He has been charged with second degree murder, meaning the attorney general’s office believes he knowingly and recklessly committed murder and showed an “extreme indifference to the value of human life.” Rundles said the charge was the most conservative prosecutors thought the evidence supported, adding that the charge could be upgraded.
Evan Smith, who is being held without bail, is being represented by public defender Todd Russell.
(Tricia L. Nadolny can be reached at 369-3306 or firstname.lastname@example.org or on Twitter at @tricia_nadolny.)