Negligent homicide, theft, sexual assault part of Merrimack County indictment roundup
The latest indictments handed down by a Merrimack County Superior Court grand jury include a Weare teenager charged with negligent homicide, a man the police say recklessly shook his infant daughter and a Hillsboro woman accused of stealing thousands from a Contoocook company. The indictments, issued Dec. 21, were made public last week.
A Franklin man previously charged with sexually assaulting a girl from 2002 to 2010 is now accused of assaulting the girl last year and locking her in his apartment when the police tried to arrest him.
Andrew Drew, 37, was charged last month with one new count of aggravated felonious sexual assault as well as three counts of endangering the welfare of a child and two of resisting arrest. Two indictments for aggravated felonious sexual assault were filed against Drew in August 2012.
The state is accusing Drew of “pattern sexual abuse” in Canterbury that began in 2002, when the girl was 7 and continued until 2010, when she was 11. Drew is accused of having sexual intercourse with the girl on numerous occasions over that time period.
He is also accused of having intercourse with her in May 2012 in Franklin.
Drew has been charged with endangering the girl’s welfare by locking her in his apartment on May 19 while officers were trying to arrest him. According to the indictment, Drew had two loaded pistols and three other firearms in his possession, and told the girl he was going to kill himself.
Drew is also accused of endangering the girl’s welfare on the same day by letting her consume alcohol.
When officers attempted to arrest Drew, he allegedly ran from a state trooper and refused to put his hands behind his back to be handcuffed.
Drew is currently incarcerated at the county jail in Boscawen, according to the indictments.
A Loudon woman sped past a group of cyclists on Route 129 in October, then abruptly hit her breaks in front of them, according to charges. Nicole Fiske, 20, has also been indicted for allegedly pointing a loaded handgun at a man in Loudon on the same day.
It is not clear in court documents if the incidents are related, and a message left with the Loudon Police Department was not returned yesterday.
Fiske has also been charged with being in possession of a gun without a license.
The indictment for criminal threatening is a Class B felony. Fiske is also facing a Class A misdemeanor and a violation-level charge.
A Henniker man is facing 17 indictments for sexual assault, incest and possession of child pornography.
The police first charged 48-year-old James Houghton in October with sexually assaulting a relative starting in 2004, when she was 17 years old. According to a police affidavit, the now-25-year-old woman told the police she met Houghton when she was 12.
Houghton forced the woman into intercourse several times while she was in high school, with the abuse becoming more frequent after she graduated, the police said. He went on to create a “Promises” list where he detailed what days the woman had to be at his home and what sexual acts she had to perform, according to the affidavit.
The indictments allege specifically that Houghton forced the woman to have sex with him five times in Henniker between August 2004 and May 2005 and that he once also inserted his finger into her genital opening without her consent during that time period. He has also been indicted on two counts of incest that allegedly took place between August 2004 and May 2005.
The state is also alleging Houghton raped the woman twice between June 2008 and March 2009 and twice in March 2011. On one of those occasions, Houghton threatened to “retaliate against her” if she didn’t comply, according to the indictment.
At a bail hearing in October, prosecutors said the police have uncovered one video of Houghton and the alleged victim engaging in intercourse as well as photos on his cell phone of the woman’s genitals.
Prosecutors said Houghton had threatened to disclose those photos to others if she didn’t continue to be in a relationship with him.
Houghton has also been indicted on six counts of possession of child pornography.
A 22-year-old man has been accused of grabbing his infant daughter by the ribs and shaking her repeatedly.
Joshua Hutchins of Thornton has been charged with second-degree assault, reckless conduct and endangering the welfare of a child related to his treatment of his then-3-month-old daughter. The state alleges that on Oct. 31, 2012, in Concord, Hutchins repeatedly threw the girl above his head, caused bruising when he grabbed her around her ribs and recklessly shook her.
Hutchins has also been charged with misdemeanors of simple assault and criminal threatening. He is accused of hitting a woman in the face with his wallet on Oct. 31, 2012, and threatening to kill another woman on the same day the child was allegedly assaulted.
A Concord man accused of threatening to kill his girlfriend and their child during a police standoff in May has been charged with attempted witness tampering after officials said he called a woman hundreds of times from jail in hopes of convincing her to not cooperate with prosecutors on his case.
The woman Marc Mallard, 30, is accused of trying to contact is named in the indictments only by her initials. Mallard was extremely persistent in attempting to reach her, making repeated phone calls from jail, sending letters to her through two inmates, and asking both his mother and two other individuals to contact her, according to the indictments. The crimes allegedly took place between April 2012 and December 2012.
Along with seven charges of attempted witness tampering, Mallard has also been charged with a misdemeanor of being in contempt of court for violating an order barring him from contacting the woman.
Mallard was arrested in May. In an affidavit, the police said he barricaded himself, his girlfriend and their 3-year-old daughter in an apartment, telling officers through the door that he had a gun.
The police said Mallard had gotten angry with his girlfriend after he thought she had disrespected him. He spit in her face, the police said, then offered her a head start to escape before catching up to her and slamming her head into a wall.
The girlfriend was carrying their child at the time, and the police said the girl later complained that her neck hurt from the fall.
An investigation after the standoff led the police to file further charges against Mallard, who was accused of a series of previous assaults against his girlfriend.
Mallard was charged with criminal threatening, resisting arrest, false imprisonment, second-degree assault and attempt to commit second-degree assault.
A Weare man who drove off the interstate during a police pursuit in September and crashed, resulting in the death of his girlfriend, has been indicted for negligent homicide.
Robert Pitts, 18, is also facing a felony charge of disobeying a police officer that alleges he fled on Interstate 93 in Concord when an officer turned on his flashing lights.
The police said an officer spotted Pitts in a Chevrolet Impala that his father had reported stolen earlier that morning.
At the time, Pitts was on house arrest awaiting trial on felony charges of attempted arson, criminal threatening with a deadly weapon, reckless conduct and breach of bail conditions.
As Pitts took the exit 17 ramp his car went off the roadway and hit several trees, according to the police. Paige Garneau, a 19-year-old from Laconia, died from injuries sustained in the crash. At Pitts’s arraignment, Garneau’s family said she had only known Pitts for a few weeks.
Pitts has been charged with one Class A felony, which carries up to 15 years in prison, and one Class B felony, carrying up to 7 years in prison.
A Hillsboro woman has been accused of taking 10 checks, each valued at more than $1,500, from a Contoocook shelving company.
Theresa Wareing, 51, is accused of stealing the checks from John Herrick of Excalibur Shelving Systems and “converting” them “for her own purposes.” She allegedly took the first check in November 2011, then took nine more through July 2012.
Wareing did not return a message left at her home yesterday afternoon. She is charged with ten Class A felonies of theft by unauthorized taking.
A Danbury woman who knowingly left her son alone with a convicted sex offender has been charged criminally after the police said the man sexually assaulted the boy, according to charges filed in Merrimack County Superior Court.
Meghan Wilcox, 29, signed a sex offender chaperone contract with the state, promising she would not leave her son alone with 30-year-old Anthony Baslow, according to the charges. She did so anyway, and her son was ultimately assaulted by Baslow, prosecutors allege.
According to a motion filed in court by Baslow’s attorney, he is accused of taking the boy to the home of an elderly man whom he did housework for. There, Baslow allegedly showed the now 8-year-old boy pornography and engaged in sexual acts with him.
Baslow, who is from Wilmot and is currently incarcerated at the state prison in Concord, was indicted in October on charges alleging he assaulted the boy several times between December 2011 and July 2012.
He’s facing five counts of aggravated felonious sexual assault, three of felonious sexual assault, and one of indecent exposure and lewdness.
The crimes took place in Danbury and Wilmot, according to the indictments.
The charges filed against Wilcox are Class A misdemeanors.
She is scheduled to be arraigned Jan. 16.