Cloudy
38°
Cloudy
Hi 41° | Lo 24°

Franklin home evacuated after backhoe causes gas leak

Homes were evacuated and ventilated in Franklin on Friday following a natural gas leak, according to fire officials.

A natural gas service line on Forest Street in Franklin was damaged Friday when city crews repairing a water main break hit the gas line with a backhoe, the Franklin Fire Department said in a press release.

An explosive amount of gas was found in one home – 16 Forest St. – and one occupant was evacuated, officials said.

The fire department used gas detection meters and ventilated all homes with evidence of gas, fire Capt. Steve Fecteau said in a press release.

Public Service of New Hampshire shut off electricity on the residential street to prevent the start of fires.

Fire crews left the secured scene at 3 p.m. Friday, according to the press release. Liberty Utilities remained to repair the gas leak Friday afternoon.

Legacy Comments0
There are no comments yet. Be the first!
Post a Comment

You must be registered to comment on stories. Click here to register.