M/cloudy
72°
M/cloudy
Hi 77° | Lo 54°

Gilmanton man pleads guilty to threatening attack on federal employee

A Gilmanton man who threatened to sexually assault the government employee handling his Social Security account has pleaded guilty in federal court.

Glenn Bates, 51, made the threat in a voicemail Jan. 6, 2012, according to press release from the U.S. attorney’s office. In the message, Bates made demands related to his benefits, then said he had a gun and planned to wait for the employee and sexually assault her, officials said.

Bates was arrested June 15, and has been held since that time.

Court documents show a judge at U.S. District Court in Concord initially ruled that Bates was suffering from a mental defect making him incompetent to stand trial, but that decision was reversed after a hearing earlier this month.

The case was scheduled for a trial beginning April 5, but March 12 Bates pleaded guilty to a charge of impeding or retaliating against a federal employee.

Bates will be sentenced June 12. He’s facing up to 10 years in prison and a maximum fine of $250,000.

TRICIA L. NADOLNY

There are no comments yet. Be the first!
Post a Comment

You must be registered to comment on stories. Click here to register.