Hi 28° | Lo 4°

BREAKING: Police say Lufkin showed no visible signs of beating

Mark Lufkin, seen with his sister Christy Lecuyer, died Saturday. (Courtesy photo)

Mark Lufkin, seen with his sister Christy Lecuyer, died Saturday. (Courtesy photo)

The Concord homeless man whose death is under investigation showed no visible signs of blunt trauma when paramedics found him unconscious early Friday morning, according to the police.

The Concord police made the announcement today after rumors circulated since the weekend that Mark Lufkin died after being violently beaten beneath the Interstate 393 bridge. Lt. Tim O’Malley said paramedics responding to a 911 call noted only minor nicks and cuts on 39-year-old Lufkin.

“There were no indications visible on him that would have led them to believe he had been recently beaten,” O’Malley said. “It doesn’t mean he wasn’t. It just means there was nothing they saw that would indicate that at that time. They had no real explanation for his condition.”

O’Malley said doctors at Dartmouth-Hitchcock Medical Center in Lebanon, where Lufkin was taken from Concord Hospital Friday and pronounced dead Saturday, did believe he was suffering from a traumatic brain injury. But the police are still unsure whether that injury was the result of an accident or wrongdoing.

O’Malley said the Concord police are sorting through several theories and are not treating the case as a homicide at this time.

“If we were to develop information that this was a homicide (the New Hampshire attorney general’s office) would certainly be involved,” O’Malley said, adding that the office has been briefed on Lufkin’s death but is not active in the investigation.

Lufkin was taken to Concord Hospital at about 12:05 a.m. Friday after the police and fire department responded to a 911 call from 154 N. Main St., known as the Vegas building, O’Malley said. Paramedics did not respond to the homeless camp beneath the interstate, according to O’Malley, who said the police don’t know if Lufkin had been there earlier that evening then taken to the Vegas building.

O’Malley said Lufkin was taken to Concord Hospital and then to Dartmouth-Hitchcock a few hours later. Doctors there notified the police about Lufkin’s brain injury on Friday, he said.

The police then began an investigation, contacting people they knew had been with Lufkin in the few days prior. O’Malley said they quickly received a wide range of theories. The police are still working on a timeline of where Lufkin was before he was taken to Concord Hospital.

“We still have some unfilled voids,” O’Malley said.

Legacy Comments1

I knew Mark for 24 years. I met him when we were young children when I traveled with his cousin to his home town in Rhode Island. When he graduated he moved to our home town in NH. He was a beautiful person. So kind, so easy going ,and caring.His family loved him and raised him to be loving. I have good memories of him and my children do too. He was a loving father and friend.

Post a Comment

You must be registered to comment on stories. Click here to register.