Cloudy
60°
Cloudy
Hi 88° | Lo 65°

Concord man charged with assaulting 21-week-old son

A Concord man assaulted his 21-week-old son because he was frustrated that the baby was being fussy, according to the police.

Gregory Perkins, 22, is facing felony assault charges after staff at Concord Hospital, where the infant was being treated, became suspicious about his injures, the police said.

The baby didn’t suffer any damage to his head and is expected to make a full recovery, Concord police Lt. Timothy O’Malley said.

“We don’t believe it to be an accident or rough-housing. It was an act of frustration,” he said.

The police said Perkins assaulted the infant on two separate occasions, resulting in multiple fractures. He declined to describe the injuries further but said the police think the assaults took place about a week apart, with the second happening Monday.

On that day, the police were contacted by the Division of Youth, Children and Families, which had been notified by the hospital, O’Malley said. Officers arrived at the hospital at about 4 p.m. and made contact with the child’s parents.

Perkins turned himself in on a warrant yesterday at the Concord Police Department. He was charged with two counts of first-degree assault, Class A felonies, and released on $20,000 personal recognizance bail. He is scheduled to be arraigned at Concord’s district court May 13.

O’Malley declined to comment on whether the child is still in the hospital but said he would be released to family members. Under Perkins’s bail conditions, he is not allowed to be alone with children, O’Malley said.

He said the family is being cooperative and is “taking steps to ensure there are no other issues.”

(Tricia L. Nadolny can be reached at 369-3306 or
tnadolny@cmonitor.com or on Twitter @tricia_nadolny.)

There are no comments yet. Be the first!
Post a Comment

You must be registered to comment on stories. Click here to register.