Hi 24° | Lo 11°

Police: Northfield man claimed girl was aggressor in sexual relationship

After learning he was being investigated for sexual assault, a Northfield man admitted to having intercourse with a young girl but claimed it happened only after she climbed on top of him in her nightgown, the police said.

According to an affidavit, George Hartman told the police that the girl was the aggressor during the 10 months, starting in July 2012, that investigators say he sexually assaulted her.

Hartman, 35, has been held on $30,000 cash bail since his April arrest. He was recently indicted by a Merrimack County grand jury on three counts of aggravated felonious sexual assault alleging he had intercourse with the girl, had oral sex with her and penetrated her digitally, each
on multiple occasions in Northfield.

The girl, who is under 16 years old, originally reported being abused in April, according to the affidavit. The female adult she told took her to the Belmont Police Department. In an interview the following day at the Merrimack County Child Advocacy Center, where juveniles are often interviewed in connection to criminal investigations, the girl said she and Hartman had intercourse about five times and also performed oral sex on each other several times, according to the affidavit.

According to the affidavit, Hartman spoke with investigators the day after the girl went to the child advocacy center and said he had explanations that he wanted to share. At the police department, Hartman admitted to having intercourse and oral sex with the girl but said she was the aggressor, the police said. Hartman told the police that he had warned the girl that she was going to get him in trouble, according to the affidavit.

Court documents show Hartman was arrested in Mach 2010 and charged with criminal restraint, simple assault and obstructing the report of a crime or injury after the police said he punched a woman on the back of her head, blocked her from leaving a residence and broke her cell phone. As part of a negotiated plea deal, Hartman was sentenced to serve 45 days in jail with the entirety suspended pending two years of good behavior. He was also ordered to complete anger management counseling.

(Tricia L. Nadolny can be reached at 369-3306 or or on Twitter @TriciaNadolny.)

Legacy Comments0
There are no comments yet. Be the first!
Post a Comment

You must be registered to comment on stories. Click here to register.