M/clear
14°
M/clear
Hi 27° | Lo 18°

Convicted bank robber arrested for pair of recent armed thefts in Concord

Benjamin W. Hugron, 32, of Pavillion Drive in Concord, was arrested on Monday, August 19, 2013 on two counts of armed robbery. It is alleged that he was behind the robberies earlier this month at Asian Taste and Sam's Food Store, both in Penacook.

Benjamin W. Hugron, 32, of Pavillion Drive in Concord, was arrested on Monday, August 19, 2013 on two counts of armed robbery. It is alleged that he was behind the robberies earlier this month at Asian Taste and Sam's Food Store, both in Penacook.

The Concord Police today charged a 32-year-old Concord man and convicted bank robber for a pair of armed thefts in the area over the past two weeks, one at Asian Taste Restaurant, the other at Sam’s Food Store.

Benjamin Hugron will be arraigned tomorrow in Concord’s district court on two felony charges for armed robbery, each carrying a maximum 15-year prison sentence and $4,000 fine. He also faces federal charges on an existing arrest warrant for parole violation, which had been issued August 6, two days prior to the first Penacook robbery, at the restaurant, according to Lt. Timothy O’Malley.

Hugron is accused of robbing Sam’s Food Store a week later. In both cases, Hugron is accused of showing a weapon and demanding cash, according to the police.

O’Malley said Hugron became a suspect after police received an anonymous tip Friday about his possible involvement in the robberies. Learning of the existing arrest warrant, detectives contacted the U.S. Marshals Service , who dispatched deputy marshals to Concord. Hugron was apprehended that night on Pavillion Drive in Penacook, where he had been living, and held at the Merrimack County jail.

A later search of Hugron’s residence revealed “several” pieces of evidence linking him to the Penacook robberies, O’Malley said in a statement. Hugron was charged for those crimes around 1:30 p.m. today in Concord’s U.S. District Court, where he was also dealing with his parole violation case, O’Malley said.

Police had suspected both thefts could be connected. Both happened around 9:30 p.m. Both were carried out by what witnesses described as a man dressed in black and wearing gloves. And in both instances the suspect produced a handgun, demanded cash and fled on foot, the police said.

O’Malley said today that authorities still have no reason to suspect Hugron was involved in a July 23 attempted robbery at the Dunkin Donuts on Fisherville Road, or a July 27 robbery at the Cumberland Farms on Fisherville Road.

Prior to Friday’s arrest, federal officials had been working to locate Hugron, O’Malley said. He said Concord police were able to track Hugron to the Pavillion Drive address, which was not Hugron’s official residence. O’Malley declined to explain how they found the address.

Hugron was sentenced in 2008 to seven years in federal prison after he plead guilty to robbing the Citizens Bank in Penacook and the Brooks Pharmacy in Concord the previous year.

His attorney at the time, Sven Wiberg, had requested leniency, noting that Hugron had admitted his crimes immediately after being arrested and voluntarily disclosed his role in other unsolved offenses, according to court records. Wiberg also noted that Hugron had a difficult childhood that included abuse and his mother’s alcohol and drug use. Hugron, he wrote, had been “abandoned and left to fend for himself.”

Like the recent robberies, police in 2007 turned their attention to Hugron after witnesses described similarities between the bank and pharmacy robberies.

(Jeremy Blackman can be reached at 369-3319, jblackman@cmonitor.com or on Twitter @JBlackmanCM.)

Legacy Comments4

Of course, rje49, it would be nice to have a national gun registry for every firearm manufactured and sold. That would allow us to know when this particular gun was diverted/stolen/sold from its legitimate owner to this fellow or someone in the chain of possession after its last legitimate owner. Would you support that?

There is no reason for a "national gun registry" that is for our protection as a nation. Look at History and where this approach proved deadly to citizens. Your proposal is ridiculous. Criminals don't register guns.

How could this have happened??? There are laws against convicted felons possessing firearms! Which goes to show how useless new "gun laws" would be. The previous laws were supposed to prevent this kind of crime. Hey, why not focus on the criminals, instead of the tools they might use? Nah, that makes sense....

Convicts don't "do" gun laws, well, do they? I agree with you that the focus should be on the criminals and their actions. There is a gun in my holster for the past twelve years and it hasn't shot anyone.

Post a Comment

You must be registered to comment on stories. Click here to register.