No arrests yet in Concord mailbox crime spree
The Concord police continued their investigation yesterday into an overnight crime spree earlier this week in which more than 100 mailboxes were looted in the east and west neighborhoods of the city.
Lt. John Zbehlik said yesterday that some tips have come in, but authorities have yet to make an arrest in the incident, which took place sometime late Monday or early Tuesday.
The police got several calls Tuesday morning from residents who reported finding mail “strewn about their neighborhoods,” the police said in a statement later that day. “Responding officers observed that select pieces of mail had been opened, most of which appeared to be Christmas cards and gift packages. It is believed that the suspects were targeting such pieces in order to steal gift cards, cash, checks and/or other valuables.”
The police have not placed a value on how much was stolen. U.S. Postal Service inspectors have also joined the investigation.
Zbehlik said this type of theft is not uncommon, but to see it at this scale is rare.
The streets targeted include Mountain Road, Groton Drive, Bainbridge Drive, Max Lane, Pekoe Drive, Shaker Road, Oakmont Drive, Country Club Lane, Hayward Brook, Farmwood Road, Freedom Acres Drive, Pine Crest Circle, Sanborn Road, Checkerberry Lane and Thackeray Road.
The police are asking that anyone who observed suspicious activity in their neighborhood to call the Concord Regional Crimeline at 226-3100.
(Jeremy Blackman can be reached at 369-3319, email@example.com or on Twitter @JBlackmanCM.)