Clear
43°
Clear
Hi 67° | Lo 40°

Police: possible clues in mailbox thefts, still no arrests

Concord police detectives have retrieved some potentially promising physical clues in a rash of overnight mailbox thefts last week, a department spokesman said yesterday.

Lt. Timothy O’Malley would not describe the evidence, but he said it was being forensically analyzed. He said detectives had been combing through dozens of pieces of mail, apparently discarded during the thefts, in search of clues.

O’Malley said the department had received no other substantial leads from residents or people in the area around the time of the spree, between 9 p.m. Tuesday and 6 a.m. Wednesday. More than 100 properties were reportedly targeted.

The police received dozens of reports Wednesday of mail strewn about neighborhoods in East and West Concord. Many of the envelopes and packages had been opened and apparently stripped of gift cards, cash, checks and other valuables. Authorities still have yet to place a quantity or value on what was stolen, as much of it was likely incoming mail.

O’Malley said it seemed odd that so many mailboxes were full past 9 p.m., but he noted that it had been raining that Tuesday evening and perhaps residents were delaying going outside.

“We’re kind of scratching our heads as to how they got so much mail,” O’Malley said of the thieves (or thief – it’s unknown how many people might have participated).

O’Malley said the number of claims had not risen substantially since news of the thefts broke last week. The streets targeted include Mountain Road, Groton Drive, Bainbridge Drive, Max Lane, Pekoe Drive, Shaker Road, Oakmont Drive, Country Club Lane, Hayward Brook, Farmwood Road, Freedom Acres Drive, Pine Crest Circle, Sanborn Road, Checkerberry Lane and Thackeray Road. He encouraged potential victims on streets not previously identified to file a claim with the department. He also advised those affected to verify with banks and other credit agencies that their personal information had not been compromised.

Examined mail that is cleared by detectives will be turned over to the U.S. Postal Service for redistribution, O’Malley said.

Anyone who observed suspicious activity in their neighborhood is encouraged to call the Concord Regional Crimeline at 226-3100.

(Jeremy Blackman can be reached at 369-3319, jblackman@cmonitor.com or on Twitter @JBlackmanCM.)

There are no comments yet. Be the first!
Post a Comment

You must be registered to comment on stories. Click here to register.