Ex-Concord youth coach Joubert convicted in second child sexual assault case
Assistant County Attorney David Rotman holds up photographs used as evidence to Robert Joubert, who was on the stand for the second day, during the final day of arguments at the Merrimack County Superior Court in Concord on Tuesday morning, March 11, 2014. Joubert, a former Concord area youth baseball coach, is accused of molesting a Hillsboro boy. (JOHN TULLY / Monitor staff)
After a week of sensitive and at times heated testimony, a jury yesterday found Robert Joubert, a former Concord area youth baseball coach, guilty of molesting a player he lived with more than a decade ago.
Jurors deliberated for roughly an hour before convicting Joubert, 60, on three felony counts of sexual assault, one of which was aggravated. The player testified that he was made to perform sexual favors on Joubert from 2002 to 2004, when he was between the ages of 10 and 12.
The trial, in Merrimack County Superior Court, followed a federal conviction in November of possessing child pornography and sexually exploiting the same boy, who is now 21. He was sentenced last month to 40 years in federal prison.
Several other men have alleged that Joubert sexually assaulted them as children, and county prosecutor Kristin Vartanian said yesterday’s verdict was as much for them as for the accuser in this case.
“The importance was justice for the victims,” Vartanian said.
Joubert’s public defenders, James Quay and Andrew Ain, said they plan to appeal the convictions, but declined further comment. They have 30 days from the as yet undetermined date of Joubert’s sentencing to file the motion.
Quay and Ain argued during the trial that the evidence prosecutors presented was circumstantial at best, and conflicting at worst. They also questioned the victim’s recollection, noting that he had changed portions of his story over the course of the investigation.
Joubert, taking the stand for the first time since his arrest in 2012, also insisted that he was impotent when the abuse allegedly took place. He had previously said he dated the boy’s mother while living with them in Hillsboro, but clarified Tuesday that they were not intimate. The mother has denied the relationship entirely.
Prosecutors relied heavily on a videotape found in Joubert’s possession that depicts an assault. Though the perpetrator’s face is never shown, the victim testified, as he did in the federal case, that it was Joubert.
It’s unclear how yesterday’s verdict will affect Joubert’s outstanding charges. Vartanian said her office had yet to decide whether to pursue its two pending cases in Merrimack County. Joubert also faces felony counts in Hillsborough County.
(Jeremy Blackman can be reached at 369-3319, email@example.com or on Twitter @JBlackmanCM.)