Concord man pleads guilty to robbing Bhutanese refugees, mugging woman
A 20-year-old Concord man pleaded guilty yesterday to robbing a group of Bhutanese refugees at knifepoint last fall, and to mugging a woman days earlier as she entered her car in a Storrs Street parking garage.
Tyler Burley was sentenced to four years in prison for the two crimes, including 2½ years of suspended time from a previous conviction. He also received a 7½-year suspended sentence, which county prosecutor David Rotman said he hoped would act as a deterrent in the future.
“Mr. Burley needs to know this is the last opportunity,” Rotman said.
The armed robbery occurred Oct. 13. Three of the four victims said they had been taking out the trash near their East Side Apartment complex when Burley and a friend approached them and demanded money. Burley brandished a pocketknife and the friend, Brett Reno, said something to the effect of, “Give us $20 or we will kill you guys,” according to indictments.
At the time, Burley was on probation, and he had pleaded guilty in 2012 to rioting.
The mugging occurred late Oct. 3 in the legislative parking garage. Video footage of the garage showed the woman getting in her car, then a man rushing to the driver’s side door and lurching inside. The woman suffered bruising and scratches, the police said, but declined medical treatment.
Rotman said yesterday that the woman had in fact known Burley, and that he had possibly targeted her because he thought she had tipped someone off about a planned robbery that ultimately failed.
(Jeremy Blackman can be reached at 369-3319, firstname.lastname@example.org or @jblackmancm.)