Hi 24° | Lo 17°

Second suspect in attempted Warner theft still sought

The state police were still searching early last night for the second of two suspects stemming from an incident Friday morning at a business in Warner.

Details were unclear by press time, but state police spokeswoman Nicole Armaganian confirmed yesterday that a man allegedly involved in a case of criminal trespassing and attempted theft remained free and was being pursued by authorities.

“The case right now is still open and still active,” Armaganian said. The police “do not believe that there is any danger to the public.”

Armaganian said the state police have identified the fugitive, but she did not know his name or his residence after speaking to Sgt. Ronald Taylor of the state police last night.

Mark Charles, a 31-year-old Franklin resident, was arrested Friday in Salisbury after a five-hour police chase that began in Warner and involved police dogs and a police aircraft, which was diverted from speed enforcement duties to assist in the chase.

According to a press release from the state police, Charles and the other man fled into the woods after a land owner spotted them at his remote business, which has not been identified.

A passing motorist saw Charles hiding behind a tree near a canoe launch, the release said, and asked him whether he needed help, at which time Charles ran deeper into the woods.

A short time later, the release said, Charles was intercepted by a state trooper over the town line in Salisbury and taken into custody.

Charles was charged with criminal trespassing and attempted theft and released on $4,000 personal recognizance. He has a court date June 26 in Hillsboro’s district court.

Anyone with information on the other suspect is asked to call the state police at 271-3636.

(Ray Duckler can be reached at 369-3304 or or on Twitter @rayduckler.)

Legacy Comments0
There are no comments yet. Be the first!
Post a Comment

You must be registered to comment on stories. Click here to register.