Concord announces new plan for Main Street makeover
North Main Street, Concord during Market Days; Thursday, July 19, 2012. (Alexander Cohn/ Monitor file)
Concord has announced a contractor and a $10.22 million proposal for construction on the Main Street project.
The city’s latest plan preserves many of the project’s hallmarks, such as wider sidewalks and accessible entrances for downtown businesses, but it also cuts heated sidewalks and three of 12 blocks from the original program.
City staff outlined the proposal’s details yesterday; the Concord City Council can still make changes and will vote on it next month. The selected contractor is Severino Trucking Co. Inc. of Candia.
“What was important was to preserve as much of this project as possible at its highest quality,” City Engineer Ed Roberge said. “This will clearly be a transformative project in many ways.”
In its original form, the Main Street project would redesign and rebuild 12 blocks of the downtown corridor. The city had projected the total bill would be $10.35 million, which included about $7.8 million for general construction and $2.5 million to bury utilities on South Main Street. A $4.71 million federal grant would cover part of the cost. Officials had hoped to break ground last fall, but in each of two previous attempts to hire a contractor, Concord rejected a proposal that was almost double the budget for construction.
A 17-member committee shaped the downtown project with input from community members and merchants. But in February, the city council gave staff and consultant engineering firm McFarland Johnson permission to use an alternative bidding process that allows for more negotiation – and all of that negotiation took place behind closed doors.
The proposal that emerged yesterday sets a $10.22 million budget for construction. That includes the $4.71 million federal grant, $560,000 in federal tax credits, more than $500,000 from impact fees and the water fund, and $2.39 million in city bonds. City staff has also recommended using the $2.5 million previously dedicated to burying utilities on South Main Street for general construction instead.
Because all of those dollars have already been set aside, Deputy City Manager for Development Carlos Baia said the city would not need to bond any more money to pay for this project. This proposal “makes sense for Concord,” he said.
“It accomplishes most of the original intention, if not all of the original intention, of the design that was proposed,” Baia said.
The 13-page document that will go to the city council is familiar. Main Street would become two lanes with a cobblestone median, and the sidewalks would be widened to an average of 18 feet. Eighteen downtown storefronts would become accessible to those in wheelchairs or with limited mobility, and the new street wouldn’t have the tricky double-step curb that exists today. One side of Main Street would remain angled parking; the other would be converted to parallel parking. Visitors to Main Street would find public art, irrigated tree planters and more seating. Some small details, like banners across the street to welcome guests to Concord, are new to the design.
But other pieces of the original plans are missing from this proposal:
∎ Heated sidewalks. City staff did not recommend building a snow-melt system on Main Street, although the proposal does include two options to do so if the city council wants to.
∎ Buried utility lines on about 750 feet of South Main Street. City staff have suggested the $2.5 million already earmarked from the Sears Block Tax Increment Finance district be repurposed to help pay for the larger project. “Everybody, I think, struggled with the fact that it was a sizeable amount of money for a very small linear foot distance,” Baia said.
∎ Three blocks of the original design. The first plan for Main Street would have revamped the streetscape between its northern and southern intersections with Storrs Street. That’s about 12 blocks. But city staff shaved about $1.9 million off the project by shortening the project. Their suggested scope runs about nine blocks of Main Street, between Centre and Concord streets.
The three blocks that wouldn’t be included aren’t in the same zoning district as the heart of downtown, Baia said.
“It was, of course, not without pause,” Baia said. “We obviously would like to do everything that we had planned and that the committee had envisioned, but in terms of cuts, that was one that had some good foundation.”
∎ A new home for the clock tower. Moving that tower away from Eagle Square would have cost about $180,000, so city staff are recommending it stay put.
∎ Some aesthetic details, such as ornamental fences and electrical outlets at the tree planters. The city would also substitute the planned trash compactors with regular trash and recycling bins.
∎ More money from local matches. The original plan called for about $1.57 million in contributions from the private sector. Last year, the Community Development Finance Authority awarded Concord $560,000 in tax credits that would go toward that balance. But Baia said city staff decided to absorb the remainder in the city’s bonds.
If the council approves this new proposal, the project would change not only in its appearance, but also in its execution.
The selected contractor, Severino Trucking, would complete most of the work between 7 a.m. and 7 p.m., and only major utility work and paving would be done at night. In a report to the city council in November 2012, the city’s advisory committee on the Main Street project recommended the work be done primarily at night so as not to disrupt downtown business.
But overnight construction was one of the main reasons the bid prices came in at nearly double the city’s estimates, and that was a premium Concord couldn’t afford. So Severino Trucking has promised to usher pedestrians to storefronts with a system of crosswalks and ramps in the work area.
“We’re trying to mitigate any inconvenience that might be made for the project,” Baia said.
Construction would begin in the South End and move north, and the project would be done by fall 2016. Crews would work on one side of the road at a time; the other lane would be alternating one-way traffic.
Roberge said the sidewalks would be completed first. On-street parallel parking would be available between the traffic lane and the work zone, he said, and all parking in areas under construction would be free.
“We can probably maintain between 75 and 90 percent of the existing parking count in those work areas,” Roberge said.
And if the council gives a green light, Severino Trucking would start this summer.
“We’d like to get started as soon as possible,” Roberge said.
‘Red carpet team’
The last page of the 13-page proposal lists two options for building a snow-melt system. City staff recommends neither.
The hope for heated sidewalks hinged on Concord Steam, which wanted to build a new plant in the South End. Excess from that plant would have moved into pipes under Main Street, and the heat would have melted the snow from the sidewalks. But Concord Steam’s plant fell through, and in February, the council asked city staff to come up with options for Concord to build and power the system without that company.
“We looked at a number of different things – geothermal, a wastewater-oriented system, the gas system, the steam system,” Baia said. “The important thing to remember is that originally when we talked about snow-melt, it was because we were going to use free excess steam from a private facility that was going to be built. It was going to benefit them. It was going to benefit us. It wasn’t going to cost us except to put the tubing in.”
Concord doesn’t have enough wastewater flow to power the system as needed, Baia said, and a geothermal system would require drilling about 500 wells throughout Main Street. So city staff nixed both ideas.
In the proposal, one option is a natural gas system, which would require building a furnace in addition to laying pipes underneath the city’s sidewalks. That system would cost about $4.5 million to build; each year, it would cost about $1.1 million to operate and maintain.
The second option is a steam system, which would also require building an operating facility at a cost of about $4 million. Depending on the price of steam, it would cost between $1.5 million and $2.5 million each year to operate and maintain.
Instead, Baia outlined his recommendation for what he called a “red-carpet team.” The city would hire four new full-time employees and dedicate them to maintenance in the downtown core.
“Their purpose would be to serve not only as a maintenance crew, but also as ambassadors to the downtown,” Baia said. “So they would do the street sweeping, landscape maintenance, any other maintenance of the infrastructure downtown, answer questions from anybody that may be visiting downtown. During the snow season . . . their sole function would be to get the snow out of the downtown area, out of the sidewalks.”
Salaries and benefits for those employees would cost $272,000 per year, and that money would come out of the general fund. The new team would also need new equipment, which would cost about $30,000 in debt payments every year, and about $10,000 a year of sand and salt.
As with all the rest of the project details, City Manager Tom Aspell said the council makes the final call on the snow-melt system. But it will also have to decide how to pay for it.
“They’ll have to figure out who is going to foot that bill going forward,” Aspell said.
City staff will present the proposal to the city council during a special meeting Monday at 7 p.m. in council chambers. That meeting is open to the public, and the 13-page document is available online at concordmainstreetproject.com. The council will hear public comment on the project and vote at its next regular meeting July 14.
(Megan Doyle can be reached at 369-3321 or email@example.com or on Twitter @megan_e_doyle.)
(Due to incorrect information in the city’s Main Street proposal, an earlier version of this story stated the wrong amount of dollars bonded from the general fund to help pay for the project.)