Hi 7° | Lo -9°

Man who allegedly drove into trooper outside speedway arraigned in Concord

A Sutton man who allegedly drove into a state trooper Sunday outside the Loudon speedway was arraigned yesterday on several charges, including reckless conduct driving, simple assault and driving under the influence.

Damian Biron, 21, pleaded not guilty to seven misdemeanors and offered no plea on four felony counts yesterday in Concord’s district court. After a prosecutor noted that Biron was allegedly also involved in a police chase in April, Judge Gerard Boyle ordered he be held on $2,000 cash bail. Those charges, out of Newport, are still pending.

“I am concerned for the safety of the public,” Boyle said. “I’m also concerned that you apparently have charges pending in another court that are very similar to those you have pending in this court this morning.”

Biron was arrested shortly after 6 p.m. Sunday. Lt. Greg Ferry, head of Troop D in Concord, said a trooper on foot noticed him driving erratically in a red Chevrolet Silverado and motioned for him to stop. Biron allegedly ignored the signal and drove at the trooper, forcing her to step out of the way.

A second trooper on foot tried to stop the vehicle, but Biron drove into him at a low speed, Ferry said. He struck him a second time and then swiped the trooper’s shoulder with a side mirror and sped off, turning south onto Route 106, which was heavily congested, he said.

Biron allegedly continued south on the shoulder of the road until the truck he was driving smashed into another truck, shoving it about 20 feet off the road. He then took off running and was detained by bystanders until police officers arrived, Ferry said.

No one was reportedly injured in the incident.

Biron’s blood alcohol content was measured above 0.16, more than twice the legal limit, Ferry said.

Biron was arrested April 17 after a trooper clocked him driving 100 mph in a 50-mph zone. The trooper began a pursuit but quickly lost sight of the truck Biron was driving, the police said at the time. He was later picked up in Warner.

Biron’s mother was in the courtroom yesterday but declined to comment.

(Jeremy Blackman can be reached at 369-3319, or on Twitter @JBlackmanCM.)

Legacy Comments0
There are no comments yet. Be the first!
Post a Comment

You must be registered to comment on stories. Click here to register.