Gov. Nixon taking National Guard out of Ferguson
Protesters march in the street as lightning flashes in the distance Wednesday, Aug. 20, 2014, in Ferguson, Mo. A grand jury has begun hearing evidence as it weighs possible charges against the Ferguson police officer who fatally shot 18-year-old Michael Brown. (AP Photo/Jeff Roberson)
Protesters stand in the street as lightning flashes in the night sky in Ferguson, Mo. on Wednesday, Aug. 20, 2014. A grand jury has begun hearing evidence as it weighs possible charges against the Ferguson police officer who fatally shot 18-year-old Michael Brown. (AP Photo/Jeff Roberson)
Attorney General Eric Holder stops to shake hands with a patron at Drake's Place Restaurant, before his meeting with local community leaders, Wednesday, Aug. 20, 2014 in Ferguson, Mo. Holder arrived in Missouri on Wednesday, a small group of protesters gathered outside the building where a grand jury could begin hearing evidence to determine whether a Ferguson police officer who shot 18-year-old Michael Brown should be charged in his death. (AP Photo/Pablo Martinez Monsivais, Pool)
Gov. Jay Nixon yesterday ordered the Missouri National Guard to begin withdrawing from Ferguson, Mo., where nightly scenes of unrest have erupted since a white police officer fatally shot an unarmed black 18-year-old nearly two weeks ago.
Since the guard’s arrival yesterday, flare-ups in the small section of town that had been the center of nightly unrest have begun to subside. The quietest night was overnight Wednesday and yesterday, when the police arrested only a handful of people in the protest zone.
“The last two nights have been really good. I feel we’re making progress,” Nixon told KMOX-AM, noting that a state of emergency remained in effect in Ferguson.
Demonstrations began after the Aug. 9 shooting of Michael Brown, and authorities have arrested at least 163 people in the protest area. Data provided yesterday by St. Louis County showed that while the majority of those arrested are Missourians, just seven live in Ferguson, a St. Louis suburb. The vast majority, 128 people, were cited for failure to disperse. Twenty-one face burglary-related charges.
Meanwhile yesterday, St. Louis County prosecutor Bob McCulloch reiterated he has no intentions of removing himself from the case, and he urged Nixon to once and for all decide whether he will act on calls for McCulloch’s ouster.
Some question McCulloch’s ability to be unbiased since his father, mother and other relatives worked for the St. Louis police. His father was killed while responding to a call involving a black suspect.
Nixon said this week he is not asking McCulloch to recuse himself. But a McCulloch aide, Ed Magee, said the governor “didn’t take an actual position one way or the other.”
McCulloch called for a more definitive decision and said in a statement that Nixon must “end this distraction” or risk delay in resolution of the investigation.
Yesterday, Nixon told KMOX he had no plans to take the case from McCulloch, noting that “we’re all trying to do our jobs.”
Federal authorities have launched an independent investigation into Brown’s death, and U.S. Sen. Claire McCaskill told the Associated Press that all of the physical evidence from the case was being flown Thursday from St. Louis to the FBI forensics lab in Quantico, Va. The evidence includes shell casings and trajectories, blood patterns and clothing, the Missouri Democrat said.