Hi 29° | Lo 15°

Remains of former New Hampshire resident found in Florida

Linda Losacano (deceased) holds her daughter, Kiley Arnold, in an undated photo provided by her family.

courtesy photo

Linda Losacano (deceased) holds her daughter, Kiley Arnold, in an undated photo provided by her family. courtesy photo Purchase photo reprints at PhotoExtra »

After months of wondering what happened to Linda Losacano, her family in New Hampshire has an answer, and it’s what they feared the most.

Losacano’s remains were found by hunters last month near her home in Florida, eight months after she went missing. The police believe she was killed by her boyfriend and the father of her child, Timothy Arnold, who shot himself May 6 when a police SWAT team entered the house the two shared.

Losacano, who grew up in Loudon and moved to Florida more than 20 years ago, went missing in April of this year. Her remains were recovered in the woods in the town of Wesley Chapel, Fla., on Nov. 15. The Pasco County Sheriff’s Office confirmed the remains were Losacano’s on Nov. 19, which would have been her 50th birthday.

Her sister, Connie, and brother, David, still live in New Hampshire. Losacano is survived by her 6-year-old daughter, who now also lives with Connie in Concord.

“We have some closure,” Connie Losacano said at her home in Concord yesterday. Even though “emotions are still raw, we have some closure in the aspect of where she is.”

In a press conference Nov. 19, officials from the sheriff’s office said Arnold is the primary suspect, but they did not speculate on a possible motive.

“There’s no reason to believe anyone else was involved in her disappearance and death,” Detective Daniel Toner said.

Losacano’s siblings became worried about her in early May when they hadn’t heard from her in several weeks. They flew down to Florida and went to Losacano’s home on May 5. When no one answered, they called the sheriff’s office, who also checked the house. On May 6, the sheriff’s officers entered the house with the SWAT team.

Arnold killed himself as soon as they entered. The child, then 5 years old, was unharmed and ran from the master bedroom and out of the house when officers arrived. Losacano was nowhere to be found.

The police continued searching for her throughout the summer, using bank statements, phone records and police dogs to try to locate her. On Nov. 15, two hunters were wandering through woods along Wesley Chapel Boulevard, less than five miles from Losacano’s home, when they came upon human bones. Officials identified the remains as Losacano’s using dentures found in the house.

The investigation into the cause of death is continuing.

“It’s still not over yet,” said Pasco County Sheriff Chris Nocco last month. “We can confirm that we have her; she will be given a proper burial, but at the same time we do not know how she died.”

Losacano was with Arnold for 24 years, although the two never married, said Connie Losacano, who now has legal custody of her niece.

Losacano was a caring person who loved her daughter and was always laughing, Connie said. Both of their parents were deaf, and Linda Losacano was a professional sign language interpreter, opening her own business in Florida and becoming an advocate for the deaf community.

It’s hard for Connie to talk about her sister without tearing up. But she smiled as she went through photographs of Linda with her daughter.

“She just loved everybody and everything,” Connie said. “All she ever wanted was to be happy.”

(Kathleen Ronayne can be reached at 369-3309 or kronayne@cmonitor.com or on Twitter @kronayne.)

Legacy Comments0
There are no comments yet. Be the first!
Post a Comment

You must be registered to comment on stories. Click here to register.