Cloudy
34°
Cloudy
Hi 39° | Lo 24°

Concord police: Man who offered Rundlett student a ride posed no threat

The Concord police said yesterday they have identified the man who offered a ride to a 13-year-old girl Tuesday morning as she walked to a bus stop, and have determined he posed no threat, as previously questioned by some.

The police were contacted Tuesday after the girl declined the offer and disclosed it to staff at Rundlett Middle School, where she is a student. Lt. Timothy O’Malley said investigators later identified and interviewed the man, a resident in the area, and determined that the exchange had been a “misunderstanding.” The man told the investigators he had made the offer because it was raining, O’Malley said.

“This was probably an exercise in bad judgement more than anything else,” O’Malley said, adding that the man, who he would not identify, had no previous run-ins with law enforcement.

Tuesday evening, before the police findings, a letter from Rundlett Middle School Principal Tom Sica was disseminated to parents urging them to talk to their children about properly responding to similar situations.

“The student in this situation handled the incident perfectly,” Sica wrote. “She made safe decisions and immediately reported the concern to an adult.”

Legacy Comments0
There are no comments yet. Be the first!
Post a Comment

You must be registered to comment on stories. Click here to register.