Concord sex offender who sparked counseling center feud pleads guilty
42-year-old David Mandigo of Concord was arrested May 10, 2013, on charges that he broke into a Concord home overnight and touched an 11-year-old girl while she was sleeping.
A 42-year-old Concord sex offender who touched off a dispute earlier this year over the location of his counseling center in a residential neighborhood pleaded guilty yesterday to entering a home near the facility and assaulting an 11-year-old girl inside.
As part of an agreement with county prosecutors, the man, David Mandigo, pleaded guilty to one count each of simple assault, burglary and theft by deception. All but the theft charge, involving a falsified Social Security application, related to the May 10 home invasion.
Mandigo was initially indicted on two felony counts of sexual assault, but under the agreement those will be dismissed. He faces up to 20 years in prison and a long-term ban from the city of Concord.
Early on the morning of the burglary, according to a police affidavit, the victim’s mother awoke to the sound of someone walking down a hallway in her home on North Main Street. She got up, went to her daughter’s room and found Mandigo, dressed in dark clothing, with his arms outstretched under the girl’s bedsheets. The mother told detectives that Mandigo looked at her, said, “Oh my God!” and walked out of the room.
Authorities arrived later that morning and, using a police dog, tracked Mandigo’s scent to the counseling center, RTT Associates, on Beacon Street. They then went to Mandigo’s apartment nearby and found a sweatshirt matching one described by the mother inside his vehicle, which was warm to the touch, according to the affidavit. Mandigo told officers at the time he had been asleep all morning.
Fingerprints lifted from the crime scene matched Mandigo’s, and one of his neighbors told a detective that he had heard Mandigo rustling inside his apartment shortly after the time of the burglary. County prosecutor David Rotman said yesterday in court that detectives also obtained evidence that Mandigo had tried to find a prostitute the night before the incident and had then gone to a bar and drank three beers. The alcohol mattered, Rotman said yesterday in Merrimack County Superior Court, because in a previous investigation Mandigo admitted that drinking leaves him “sexually aroused.”
Mandigo, who will be sentenced in February, has a history of sex-related crimes, including several indecent exposure convictions dating to 1995. He was arrested last year for pointing his cell phone up multiple women’s skirts inside a Concord department store; he was later convicted on three counts of privacy violation and received a suspended jail term pending good behavior.
Mandigo also previously admitted to detectives that he has a history of snooping on women, the affidavit states.
Rotman said yesterday that he would seek a 10- to 20-year prison sentence for the combined offenses. Mandigo’s attorney, James Moir, indicated that he will push for half that. Until his sentencing, Mandigo will continue to be held on $100,000 cash bail.
Mandigo’s arrest in May provoked a public backlash against RTT Associates, where he had been attending counseling sessions before the burglary. Neighbors and city officials argued that the center, which offers counseling for various issues, should not be allowed to operate in a residential area. In June, the city’s zoning administrator revoked the business’s zoning approval, calling its presence on Beacon Street “a hazard to the health safety and general welfare of the public.” The center left the space as of the first of last month.
(Jeremy Blackman can be reached at 369-3319, email@example.com or on Twitter @JBlackmanCM.)