Hi 7° | Lo -9°

Concord man charged with fatally shooting father in back of the head

A Concord man accused of fatally shooting his father last week in Manchester pulled the trigger more than three hours before the police received a call about the incident, authorities say.

Evan Smith, 29, was charged Saturday with shooting 61-year-old Philip Smith in the back of the head the day before.

Senior Assistant Attorney General Janice Rundles has declined to comment on who called the police at about 11 a.m. Oct. 26, but said investigators believe the father was shot around 7:30 a.m. that day.

No one was in the 519 Hevey St. apartment, which a neighbor said Philip Smith shared with his wife, when officers arrived, according to the attorney general’s office.

Evan Smith lives in The Pines of West Concord, a 20 Bog Road apartment complex, with his wife and 5-year-old daughter, according to court documents.

He has been charged with second degree murder, meaning the attorney general’s office believes he knowingly and recklessly committed murder and showed an “extreme indifference to the value of human life.” Rundles said the charge was the most conservative prosecutors thought the evidence supported, adding that the charge could be upgraded.

An affidavit in the case is sealed from public view at Manchester’s district court, and Rundles has declined to discuss details of the incident.

Shortly after the shooting, the police issued an alert calling Evan Smith a “person of interest.” Rundles said while that alert was lifted a few hours later when the police located him, Evan Smith was not charged until the following afternoon.

Rundles has declined to say what kind of gun the son allegedly used or if the police have recovered that weapon.

Documents show Evan Smith works at Kalwall, a Manchester producer of translucent panels used in place of glass. A company official there confirmed his employment but declined to say what position he holds or how long he has worked thre.

Yesterday, the police tape had been removed from the slate-gray, three-story home where the shooting took place.

Philip Smith and his wife lived on the second floor, according to a neighbor who said she hadn’t been aware that the couple had children and never saw Evan Smith visit the home.

The neighbor said she was home at the time of the shooting but didn’t hear anything, only knowing that something was wrong when police began banging on her door and telling her she had to leave because there was potentially a shooter on the loose.

The woman called Philip Smith quiet but kind, saying he was often at work but always made a point of saying hello to her children.

Evan Smith was arraigned Monday at Manchester’s district court. Pleas on felonies are not entered at the district court level, and Evan Smith is being held without bail.

He is scheduled for a probable cause hearing, where a judge will decide if there is enough evidence for the case to continue to superior court, on Nov. 13.

(Tricia L. Nadolny can be reached at 369-3306 or or on Twitter at @tricia_nadolny.)

Legacy Comments0
There are no comments yet. Be the first!
Post a Comment

You must be registered to comment on stories. Click here to register.