M/cloudy
49°
M/cloudy
Hi 67° | Lo 41°

Manchester men charged with fleeing from police in stolen vehicle

  • Amuri Diole

    Amuri Diole

  • James Jones

    James Jones

  • Amuri Diole
  • James Jones

Two Manchester men in a stolen vehicle fled from an officer Thursday after being pulled over on Loudon Road, according to the police. As the driver evaded the police, a third man in the car jumped out and was dragged for a short distance, the police said.

The driver, 26-year-old James Jones, and a passenger, 20-year-old Amuri Diole, were arrested after a brief pursuit on foot Thursday. The other passenger, who was treated for the wounds he sustained while jumping out of the car, is not being charged because he did not run from approaching officers, Concord police Lt. John Thomas said.

After their arraignments yesterday at Concord’s district court, Jones was held on $50,000 cash bail and Diole was held on $30,000 cash bail.

According to the police, a Concord officer on Loudon Road pulled over the silver Land Rover about 12:15 p.m. Thursday after seeing it on Loudon Road and noting the registration sticker was overdue. The car stopped on the Interstate 93 North ramp, and the officer quickly identified the driver as Jones, with whom he has had previous contact, the police said.

The car then sped away, and Jones later told the police that Diole had told him to drive from the officer because he did not have paperwork for the vehicle, according to the police. Thomas said the officer was able to see the car drive onto I-93, then take Exit 15 westbound. Thomas said he believes Jones then pulled a U-turn on Main Street and got back onto I-93 heading south. The officer, who had been on the radio asking for backup, was able to make visual contact with the car again and saw it exit onto Loudon Road, Thomas said.

According to the police, Jones then turned onto Stickney Avenue, where the unnamed passenger tried to jump out while it was still moving and was dragged for a short distance.

“I think he wanted the car stopped. He wanted out of the car, and they weren’t stopping,” said Thomas, who added that he does not expect criminal charges to be filed against that man in the future.

The police said Jones then stopped the vehicle, and he and Diole ran. Thomas said eight officers had converged on the area. A prosecutor in court yesterday said one officer was able to catch up to Jones and grab his arm, but Jones broke free and continued to run. He was stopped a few minutes later as he attempted to climb a fence, the prosecutor said.

Diole did successfully jump a fence and continue to run from officers before
they caught up and detained him, according to the
prosecutor.

The police later discovered that the vehicle Jones was driving was reported stolen in Manchester on July 13.

Yesterday, Judge Gerard Boyle ordered that both men should have no contact with the owner of the vehicle, though the prosecutor didn’t say whether Diole and Jones know the owner personally.

Diole said nothing in his defense when the judge was considering bail. Jones, though, asked Boyle if he could be released on personal recognizance bail because his sister had a drug overdose Thursday and is in the hospital.

The judge denied the request, noting Jones’s extensive criminal history, the fact that he is on parole and that he has a suspended sentence hanging over his head.

According to the prosecutor, since 2006 Jones has been convicted for conduct after an accident, taking a firearm from a law enforcement officer, possession of controlled drugs, issuing bad checks, simple assault and violation of a protective order.

The prosecutor said Diole was convicted in April of resisting arrest, one of the charges he’s facing after Thursday’s incident. In 2011, he was convicted of criminal trespass and breach of bail, the prosecutor said.

Jones has been charged with receiving stolen property, disobeying a police officer, operating without a valid license and two counts of resisting arrest. Diole was charged with two counts of resisting arrest and receiving stolen property.

Both men have probable cause hearings Aug. 8, when a judge will decide whether there is enough evidence for the case to go before a Merrimack County grand jury.

(Tricia L. Nadolny can be reached at 369-3306 or
tnadolny@cmonitor.com or on Twitter @tricia_nadolny.)

There are no comments yet. Be the first!
Post a Comment

You must be registered to comment on stories. Click here to register.