Search for missing halfway house inmate continues
Law enforcement officials continued searching yesterday for an inmate at the men’s halfway house in Concord who left for work Friday and never returned.
Jeff Lyons, a spokesman for the Department of Corrections, said no new leads had surfaced in the case, involving 37-year-old Jeremy Slack. Prison and state police investigators were following up with Slack’s known acquaintances and recent visitors, Lyons said, though he declined to give specifics. Visitor lists and other personal inmate information are typically confidential.
Slack left the North End Transitional Housing Unit about 8 a.m. Friday for work and was scheduled to return at 12:40 p.m. He was placed on “walkaway” status at 2 p.m. Lyons would say only that Slack worked in the food industry, and declined to say whether he reported there Friday.
Slack, described as tall and husky with brown hair, blue eyes and arm tattoos, was most recently incarcerated for theft out of Merrimack County. He was eligible for release in October, arrived at the halfway house in December and was denied parole in February. Andrea Goldberg, executive assistant to the parole board, said Slack was told to develop a better re-entry plan. She said she could not provide further details.
Slack previously served time for second-degree assault and drug possession. He was convicted of escape in Sullivan County in 2001, Lyons said, though the circumstances of the charge were unclear. Lyons said that conviction would have been weighed when deciding to send him to the halfway house.
Walkaways are not uncommon. Five men were placed on the status last year, all of them out of the Manchester halfway house and all eventually apprehended and returned to prison. The last time an inmate went missing from the Concord facility was in October 2012, Lyons said. Since 2008, only one other prisoner, David Garcia of Manchester, is still at large.
(Jeremy Blackman can be reached at 369-3319, firstname.lastname@example.org or on Twitter @JBlackmanCM.)