Clear
53°
Clear
Hi 78° | Lo 54°

Concord man charged with assaulting 21-week-old son

A Concord man is facing felony charges of assaulting his 21-week-old son after the police said employees at Concord Hospital became suspicious about the baby’s injuries.

The police believe 22-year-old Gregory Perkins assaulted the infant on two separate occasions, resulting in multiple fractures. Lt. Tim O’Malley declined to describe the injuries further but said the police think one incident took place Monday with the other happening about a week prior.

The baby didn’t suffer any injuries to his head and is expected to make a full recovery, according to O’Malley. He said the police believe Perkins was frustrated with the child for being “fussy.”

“We don’t believe it to be an accident or rough-housing. It was an act of frustration,” O’Malley said.

The police were notified on Monday by the Division of Youth Children and Families, which had been contacted by the hospital, according to O’Malley. He said officers arrived at the hospital at about 4 p.m. that day and made contact with the child’s parents.

Perkins turned himself in on a warrant at about noon today at the Concord Police Department. He was charged with two counts of first degree assault, Class A felonies, and released on a $20,000 personal recognizance bail. He’s scheduled to be arraigned at Concord’s district court May 13.

O’Malley declined to comment on whether the child is still in the hospital but said he would be released to family members. Under Perkins’ bail conditions he is not allowed to be alone with children, according to O’Malley.

(Tricia L. Nadolny can be reached at 369-3306 or tnadolny@cmonitor.com or on Twitter at @tricia_nadolny.)

There are no comments yet. Be the first!
Post a Comment

You must be registered to comment on stories. Click here to register.