Hi 44° | Lo 22°

AG report: Man killed in police standoff in Dover wrote threatening emails beforehand

The Dover man who beat a woman with a hammer and exchanged gunfire with the police before fatally shooting himself sent a relative an email two days beforehand threatening to kill the woman he later attacked, according to a report issued yesterday by the state attorney general.

In the email, 50-year-old Frank Thompson said he was thinking of “executing” Misty Sullivan and throwing her body in the garbage bin of the apartment building where they both lived, according to an incident report issued by Attorney General Joe Foster.

The report details tension between the pair before in the months prior to Sept. 30, when the Dover police were called to the building on reports that Thompson had attacked Sullivan with a hammer when she came by his apartment to borrow a cup of sugar. The two were living in different apartments on the same floor of the building.

The police were able to rescue Sullivan – who’d been struck by the hammer five times in the head and was bleeding profusely – from the next-door apartment to which she had fled. The police then asked Thompson to come out of his apartment and surrender. He said “No, thank you” and then opened his door shot at officers in the hallway, according to the report. Officers returned fire as they backed away.

A camera-equipped robot operated remotely by the police was able to record the final moments of the standoff and the shot Thompson fired into his chest, as detailed in the report.

After the police fired tear gas into Thompson’s apartment, the robot entered and found Thomason wrapped in a fetal position in a blanket in a bedroom, according to the report. Thompson then retrieved his gun, fired toward a closet, then into his own chest, the report said. The police then entered the apartment and moved Thompson into the hallway, where they determined that he was dead.

Several months before the standoff, Sullivan had lived with Thompson briefly when she had nowhere else to stay, Foster said. Dover police files show that Thompson reported that he believed she had stolen $170 from him and she reported that he had made inappropriate advances and sexual comments to her and taken some of her belongings.

During the hammer attack, Sullivan said Thompson told her if she wouldn’t be with him she was going to die. He also brandished a gun at her and his neighbors after she managed to escape, according to the report.

In the email to his relative two days before the standoff, Thompson also wrote that he “may have to start shooting at cops if they try to bully me out” for nonpayment of rent.

Legacy Comments0
There are no comments yet. Be the first!
Post a Comment

You must be registered to comment on stories. Click here to register.