Letter: On health care, a great divide
Why do Republicans treat poor people so badly?
After reading the recent columns about health care, I concluded that Sen. Sylvia Larsen showed how the Senate Democrats have worked to provide health coverage for New Hampshire’s uninsured or under-insured (“Now is the time for Senate GOP to compromise,” Monitor Opinion page, Nov. 20). Senate Democrats have bent over backward for New Hampshire residents, while the Senate Republicans have only been a major roadblock.
On the other hand, Michael Sununu’s rhetoric is typical of what the Republican Party has become: callous, even insulting and non-compromising (“Reject ‘roach motel’ of Medicaid expansion,” Monitor Opinion page, Nov. 20). Their battle cry has become: “It’s our way or no way.” And they are eager to point to any failure of the Affordable Care Act, whether they have created it or not.
Republicans don’t want you to know that health care providers contribute heavily to “think tanks” which produce “studies” to support the Republican agenda (eliminate taxes, fund corporations, reduce education). Health care providers hate the Affordable Care Act because it requires them to spend 80 percent of their fees on their clients. That would require them to administer all their policies on the remaining 20 percent. Which would probably limit the CEO pay to a $1 million or so.
Back in 2010, Wellpoint of California announced a 39 percent increase in premiums and then two months later announced that the CEO had done so well, her pay was being raised from $8 million to $13 million. Not-for-profit health care providers have become a thing of the past. The Republican Party wants to make sure the CEOs keep getting richer, even if the poor and middle class go broke.