Headlines from around the world in sports
Pirates activate outfielder McCutchen off disabled list
PITTSBURGH – The Pittsburgh Pirates activated reigning National League MVP Andrew McCutchen off the 15-day disabled list yesterday.
McCutchen went on the disabled list last week retroactive to Aug. 4 with fractured rib cartilage. The Pirates went 5-9 in McCutchen’s absence to fall slightly off the pace in the playoff race.
McCutchen said he isn’t experiencing any pain but he will wear extra padding for the time being. He added there are no restrictions on what he can do but Manager Clint Hurdle expects the team to monitor McCutchen closely.
Nationals’ McLouth out for season with injured shoulder
WASHINGTON – Washington Nationals outfielder Nate McLouth is out for the season because of an injured right shoulder.
Manager Matt Williams said yesterday that McLouth will have surgery tomorrow for a torn labrum and is expected to recover in time for spring training.
McLouth last played Aug. 1 and is on the 15-day disabled list. He is in his first season with the Nationals and hit .173 with one home run and seven RBI in 79 games.
Eagles release LB Phillips
PHILADELPHIA – Linebacker Jason Phillips, one of the first players signed by the Philadelphia Eagles under Coach Chip Kelly, was released yesterday before he played in a regular-season game for the team.
Phillips signed a two-year, $1.46 million contract as a free agent in 2013 with the Eagles, but tore the ACL in his right knee the first week of training camp in 2013 and spent the season on injured reserve.
He came back healthy this year, but was released two days before the team’s third preseason game against the Pittsburgh Steelers.
Kluwe, Vikings reach settlement to avert lawsuit
MINNEAPOLIS – The Minnesota Vikings and former punter Chris Kluwe said yesterday they reached a settlement averting a lawsuit over Kluwe’s claim that the team wrongfully released him last year because of his outspoken support for same-sex marriage rights.
Under the deal, the Vikings will donate an undisclosed sum of money to five gay rights-related charities over the next five years. Kluwe said he won’t receive any money as part of the settlement.
The Vikings said in a statement that the deal resolves all issues related to Kluwe’s departure from the team and his accusations that a coach made anti-gay comments.
Under the settlement, the Vikings also agreed to require all team employees to undergo sensitivity training four times a year. The team will also host a national symposium in Minneapolis next spring that will address LGBT issues and professional athletics, said Kluwe’s attorney, Clayton Halunen.
Ex-kicker Zendejas pleads guilty to criminal damage
TUCSON, Ariz. – Former NFL and University of Arizona kicker Max Zendejas pleaded guilty to two counts of criminal damage involving a restaurant space he leased from the Tucson school.
Pima County prosecutors said the 50-year-old Zendejas could get up to two years in prison when he’s sentenced Sept. 30.
Zendejas opened a Mexican restaurant and bar called Zendejas 13 across the street from Arizona Stadium in 2010.
The Arizona Attorney General’s Office accused Zendejas of stripping the restaurant of a walk-in refrigerator, HVAC system, compressors, ceiling fans and kitchen sinks worth thousands of dollars after the business closed in 2013.
Zendejas played for the Wildcats from 1982 to 1985 and holds the school record for career points with 360.
He spent three seasons in the NFL with Washington and Green Bay.
Practice squads expanded to 10 for next two seasons
NEW YORK – NFL teams can carry 10 players on their practice squads for the next two seasons.
The league and the players’ union agreed yesterday to increase the number of practice squad members from eight to 10.
Also, criteria for practice squad eligibility has been expanded in two categories.
A player must have a minimum of six games on a practice squad – increased from the previous three games – for that year to count as one of three permissible seasons on the squad.
And each team now can sign a maximum of two practice squad players who have earned no more than two NFL seasons toward free agency. Aside from that exception, a player with one or more accrued seasons can’t go on a practice squad unless he spent fewer than nine games on a club’s 46-player active list in each of his pro seasons.
Veteran referee Bavetta retires after 39 years
NEW YORK – NBA referee Dick Bavetta is retiring after a 39-year career in which he never missed an assignment.
Bavetta officiated a record 2,635 consecutive regular-season games after starting his NBA career on Dec. 2, 1975. He also worked 270 playoff games, including 27 in the NBA Finals.
NBA President Rod Thorn said yesterday in a statement that the league is “grateful for his contributions to our league, and we wish him the best as he enjoys his well-earned retirement.”
Bavetta, 74, also worked the 1992 Olympics, the first involving NBA players, and has officiated in leagues in New York and New Jersey. He is most proud of his streak, which last season surpassed even the 2,632 consecutive games played by baseball ironman Cal Ripken Jr.
Settlement reached in Moore-Bertuzzi lawsuit
TORONTO – A settlement was reached in Steve Moore’s lawsuit against former Vancouver Canucks forward Todd Bertuzzi for his career-ending hit during an NHL game 10 years ago.
Bertuzzi lawyer Geoff Adair confirmed the settlement but said the terms are confidential. The multimillion-dollar lawsuit had been scheduled to go to trial Sept. 8.
Bertuzzi struck Moore from behind, sending the Colorado Avalanche player crashing face first to the ice and leaving him with a concussion and fractured vertebrae.
Moore alleges the Canucks had put a bounty on him following his check that injured captain Markus Naslund.
Bertuzzi pleaded guilty to criminal assault causing bodily harm. He was sentenced in 2006 to one year of probation and 80 hours of community service.
Islanders owner sells minority interest in team
UNIONDALE, N.Y. – The New York Islanders announced that the team is being sold to a former Washington Capitals co-owner and a London-based investor.
In a statement yesterday, the team said a group led by former Capitals co-owner Jon Ledecky and investor Scott Malkin reached an agreement to buy a “substantial” minority interest in the team.
The team said under the agreement, current owner Charles Wang will continue as majority stockholder for two years. At that point, ownership will transfer to the Ledecky-Malkin group.
The team, which was founded in 1972, has announced plans to move from Long Island to Brooklyn following this season.
Third-seeded Robredo upset at Winston-Salem
WINSTON-SALEM, N.C. – Tommy Robredo became the first high seed eliminated at the Winston-Salem Open, falling to France’s Nicolas Mahut, 6-1, 7-6 (7-0), in the second round yesterday.
Robredo, the tournament’s third seed, had his serve broken three times in the first set by the 104th-ranked Mahut, who then took four mini-breaks from Robredo in winning the second-set tiebreaker.
Two other top seeds also lost in the second round in the final tuneup for next week’s U.S. Open. Fourth-seeded Leonardo Mayer of Argentina was beaten by Belgian qualifier David Goffin, 6-3, 6-1, and Poland’s Jerzy Janowicz upset sixth-seeded Joao Sousa of Portugal, 6-1, 3-6, 7-6 (7-5).
Goffin, who won his first ATP Tour event last month in Kitzbuhel, Austria, extended his winning streak to 24 matches. That includes ATP Challenger Tour event wins in the Netherlands, Poland and Finland.
In an earlier match, No. 2 seed Kevin Anderson of South Africa had to overcome a shaky second set to beat France’s Adrian Mannarino, 6-3, 2-6, 6-4.