Headlines from around the world in sports
Verlander, Tigers agree to $180M, seven-year deal
LAKELAND, Fla. – Detroit Tigers ace Justin Verlander agreed yesterday to a $180 million, seven-year contract, topping Felix Hernandez for the richest deal for a pitcher in baseball history.
The 2011 AL MVP and Cy Young Award winner had been signed through 2014 under an $80 million, five-year contract paying him $20 million in each of the next two seasons.
The new deal keeps those salaries and adds $140 million in guaranteed money: $28 million each season from 2015-19. It includes a $22 million option for 2020 that would become guaranteed if he finishes among the top five in 2019 Cy Young voting. The deal could be worth $202 million over eight seasons.
Posey gets $167M, nine-year deal from champion Giants
SAN FRANCISCO – The San Francisco Giants rewarded NL MVP and batting champion Buster Posey with a $167 million, nine-year contract.
Posey’s deal, announced yesterday by the reigning World Series champions, includes a club option for 2022 that could raise the value to $186 million over 10 years.
The agreement is the longest for a catcher and the largest in Giants history, surpassing Matt Cain’s $127.5 million, six-year contract.
D-backs near $32M deal
PHOENIX – A person familiar with the negotiations said first baseman Paul Goldschmidt and the Arizona Diamondbacks are close to agreement on a $32 million, five-year contract that would run from 2014-18.
The deal would include a $14.5 million team option for 2019 with a $2 million buyout, the person said yesterday, speaking on condition of anonymity because the agreement has not been finalized.
As a rookie last year, Goldschmidt hit .286 with 43 doubles, 20 home runs and 82 RBI.
Braves’ Venters to see
Andrews about ailing elbow
ATLANTA – Braves reliever Jonny Venters will have his ailing left elbow examined by Dr. James Andrews.
Team officials say Venters will see the noted orthopedic surgeon Wednesday after the pitcher felt tightness in the elbow during his last spring training appearance.
Venters had to come out of Tuesday’s game against Detroit and likely will start the season on the disabled list, clearing the way for the Braves to keep Cristhian Martinez and Anthony Varvaro on the 25-man roster. Both are out of minor league options.
Former MVP Tejada makes Royals’ opening-day roster
SURPRISE, Ariz. – Former AL MVP Miguel Tejada has made the Kansas City Royals’ opening-day roster as a utility infielder.
The 38-year-old is a six-time All-Star who last played in the major leagues in 2011 with the San Francisco Giants. He hit .239 with four homers and 26 RBI in 322 at-bats.
He spent last season with Baltimore’s Triple-A team at Norfolk, batting .259 with no home runs and 18 RBI in 135 at-bats before his release on June 25. The 2002 AL MVP with Oakland, Tejada has a .285 career average with 304 homers and 1,282 RBI.
Garcia agrees to minor league deal with Orioles
SARASOTA, Fla. – Pitcher Freddy Garcia agreed to a minor league contract with the Baltimore Orioles, five days after he was released by the San Diego Padres.
The 36-year-old right-hander was 1-4 with an 8.71 ERA in six spring training starts for the Padres, allowing 25 runs and 26 hits in 202∕3 innings. He was 7-6 with a 5.20 ERA in 17 starts and 13 relief appearances for the New York Yankees last year.
An All-Star in 2001 and 2002, Garcia is 152-101 with a 4.15 ERA in 14 seasons.
Cowboys, Romo agree on 6-year, $108M extension
IRVING, Texas – Tony Romo and the Dallas Cowboys agreed on a six-year contract extension worth $108 million, with about half of it guaranteed.
The agreement was reported on the team’s website yesterday. The deal will lower Romo’s salary cap number of $16.8 million for 2013, giving the team more room to sign free agents and draft picks.
Romo, who turns 33 next month and was entering the final year of his contract, gets $55 million guaranteed and could be with Dallas through 2019. Super Bowl winner Joe Flacco got $52 million guaranteed in the six-year, $120.6 million contract he signed with Baltimore earlier this month.
Bears, guard Slauson
agree on one-year contract
CHICAGO – The Chicago Bears and former New York Jets guard Matt Slauson agreed to a one-year contract.
The team announced the deal yesterday. Bears General Manager Phil Emery said Slauson’s size and strength will make him a challenger for a starting guard position. Slauson, 6-5, 315-pounds, started 48 of 51 games with the Jets. New York drafted him out of Nebraska in 2009. Last season he didn’t allow any sacks.
Deal for Martin to replace Hamlin in No. 11 car blows up
CHARLOTTE, N.C. – A deal to loan Mark Martin to Joe Gibbs Racing as a replacement driver for injured Denny Hamlin fell apart yesterdat, when Michael Waltrip Racing said Martin will fulfill his commitment to its team.
When the dust settled for both teams, Brian Vickers wound up as Hamlin’s replacement driver for at least four races. He was already scheduled to drive Martin’s car for MWR at Martinsville next week and will keep that commitment, with Martin driving Hamlin’s car.
Then Martin will go back to MWR, and Vickers will drive Hamlin’s car until he’s medically cleared to return from a fractured vertebra in his lower back.
The about-face came down from MWR roughly 24 hours after JGR said Martin will take over the No. 11 Toyota until Hamlin returns. He’s out at least five races.
Murray, Ferrer to meet in Sony Open championship
KEY BISCAYNE, Fla. – Andy Murray advanced to the final of Sony Open by rallying past No. 8-seeded Richard Gasquet, 6-7 (3), 6-1, 6-2.
Murray’s opponent tomorrow will be No. 3-seeded David Ferrer, who beat No. 15 Tommy Haas, 4-6, 6-2, 6-3.
Murray won the tournament in 2009 and was runner-up last year.
The Scotsman lost a set for the first time in tournament when Gasquet played a flawless tiebreaker. But Gasquet appeared to hurt his right foot and received treatment from a trainer after the second set, and he limped at times during the match.
Murray won despite twice double-faulting on break point. He had a 38-19 edge in winners and converted seven of eight break-point chances.
He’s ranked No. 3 and would climb to No. 2 if he wins the title.
Son of pro wrestler
Flair found dead
CHARLOTTE, N.C. – Authorities said the son of professional wrestler Ric Flair was found dead in a North Carolina hotel room.
The Charlotte-Mecklenburg police said officers were called to a hotel on the city’s south side around 10:30 a.m. yesterday. When they arrived, they found the body of 25-year-old Reid Fliehr, who also was a wrestler.
A statement from the police said there were no signs of foul play, and that the cause of death will be determined by the medical examiner’s office.
Ric Flair’s real name is Richard Morgan Flair. The peroxide-blond wrestled for some 40 years and also was known as The Nature Boy.