Lsno/fog
27°
Lsno/fog
Hi 33° | Lo 25°

Headlines from around the world in sports

BASEBALL

White Sox 2B Beckham needs surgery on left wrist

WASHINGTON – Chicago White Sox second baseman Gordon Beckham is expected to miss about six weeks because of a broken bone in his left wrist.

Beckham said he first felt pain in the wrist while fouling off a pitch in the second inning of Chicago’s 8-7 loss to the Nationals on Tuesday night. He left that game in the third inning, and the White Sox announced then he had nerve irritation in the wrist.

Beckham is hitting .316 this season.

BASEBALL

Rockies trade Harang to Mariners

SEATTLE – The Seattle Mariners acquired right-handed pitcher Aaron Harang from the Colorado Rockies in exchange for right-hander Steven Hensley and cash.

The Rockies acquired Harang on April 6 when they traded catcher Ramon Hernandez to the Los Angeles Dodgers. Harang went 10-10 with a 3.61 ERA last season for the Dodgers.

The Rockies never intended to keep Harang, and the Mariners needed another starter after allowing Jon Garland to opt out of his contract this spring rather than adding him to their roster. The Rockies scooped up Garland and put him in their rotation.

BASEBALL

Cubs prospect banned 5 games for wielding bat

CHICAGO – Cubs prospect Jorge Soler was suspended five games for charging the visiting team’s dugout during a Florida State League game with a bat. Soler was suspended yesterday.

Cubs president of baseball operations Theo Epstein said the organization supports Soler but condemns his actions Wednesday night. Epstein said the Cubs will work to help Soler “better channel his emotions on the field.”

Playing for Class-A Daytona, Soler grabbed a bat from his dugout and approached the dugout of the Clearwater Threshers during the seventh inning. Epstein said he was told there was some back and forth with another player, which included comments about Soler’s family. Soler was restrained before he reached the dugout.

NFL

Former receiver Hurd pleads guilty to drug charge

DALLAS – Former NFL wide receiver Sam Hurd pleaded guilty yesterday to trying to buy cocaine and marijuana to set up a drug-distribution network, leaving a once-promising career in tatters as he faces a prison sentence of at least 10 years.

Hurd, 27, pleaded guilty in federal court in Dallas to one count of possession of cocaine and marijuana with intent to distribute. He pleaded guilty days before his trial was scheduled to begin, without any promise of a more lenient sentence.

He faces 10 years to life in prison when he is sentenced in July.

Hurd was playing for the Chicago Bears in December 2011 – months after signing a contract reportedly worth more than $5 million – when he attended a meeting at a Chicago-area steakhouse with an undercover officer and a confidential informant. Prosecutors have alleged in court documents that Hurd accepted a kilogram of cocaine from the officer and signaled that he’d be interested in buying large, weekly quantities of cocaine and marijuana.

NFL

League making more in-stadium changes

NEW YORK – The NFL will allow teams to use video scoreboards to encourage crowd noise in stadiums during entire plays.

Although the scoreboards can only use audio prompts until 20 seconds remain on the play clock – down from 30 seconds – video prompts now can be used any time. Those videos also were limited to the final 30 seconds on the play clock until the 2013 season.

That’s the latest change the league is allowing in an attempt to enhance the fan experience in stadiums. Last week, teams were notified they must place cameras in their locker rooms to provide video only, with the footage being displayed on the video boards and also on team apps.

Teams have control over content.

Home teams also will be required to show replays on the video boards after all scoring plays, turnovers, challenged plays, first downs and receptions where the receiver ends up out of bounds. Multiple replays of any play automatically reviewed must be shown “with the very best camera angles available.”

TENNIS

Querry withdraws from U.S. Men’s Clay Court

HOUSTON – Fourth-seeded Sam Querry withdrew from the U.S. Men’s Clay Court Championship before his first-round match yesterday because of a strained right pectoral muscle.

Querry, the top ranked American at No. 20 in the world, was about to play wild card Rhyne Williams of the United States when he decided to withdraw.

Querry won’t play again for three weeks and doesn’t anticipate an extended layoff.

TENNIS

Anderson reaches quarters in Morocco

CASABLANCA, Morocco – Second-seeded Kevin Anderson of South Africa advanced to the quarterfinals of the Grand Prix Hassan II, beating Spanish qualifier Pablo Carreno-Busta, 6-3, 6-3, yesterday.

Anderson will play eighth-seeded Grega Zemlja of Slovenia, a 7-6 (5), 6-1 winner over Swiss qualifier Henri Laaksonen.

Third-seeded Martin Klizan of Slovakia will face seventh-seeded Robin Haase of the Netherlands in the other quarterfinal.

Klizan topped Italian qualifier Filippo Volandri, 6-4, 7-6 (5), and Haase outlasted France’s Kenny De Schepper, 6-2, 6-7 (2), 6-3.

Legacy Comments0
There are no comments yet. Be the first!
Post a Comment

You must be registered to comment on stories. Click here to register.