Hi 29° | Lo 14°

Bishop Brady boys’ lacrosse rallies late over Kingswood

They were missing two starting defenders, squandered an early lead, trailed by two heading into the fourth, and faced all kinds of pressure from Kingswood in the closing minutes. Despite it all, the Bishop Brady boys’ lacrosse team managed to shut out the Knights in the final quarter and claim a 12-11 win on the road.

The Green Giants (3-1) took a 5-2 lead after the first quarter, and all five goals came courtesy of senior Jon Berry, who finished with seven goals and an assist. Kingswood (2-3) came back to make it 7-6 by halftime, and by the end of the third the Knights had an 11-9 lead.

Brady worked itself back in front during the first six minutes of the fourth with a goal from Carter Lee and two from Tom Palangas, the last one assisted by Berry with 6:28 left in the game to give the Giants their 12-11 edge.

And after coughing up nine goals in the second and third, the makeshift Brady defense didn’t give up a thing in the final 12 minutes. The Giants replaced their two absent long poles by moving Evan Tyros back from attack and calling up J.D. Martin from the junior varsity squad to play alongside Hunter Migneault.

“Tyros played some (long stick midfielder) and in-home defense, so he was filling all kinds of different roles,” Brady Coach Ralph Berry said.

The top defensive star, however, was goalie Evan Hall, who finished with 24 saves and preserved the narrow one goal lead despite Kingswood’s best efforts.

“They were putting on all kinds of pressure, and in the last minute of the game (Hall) had a couple of great saves,” Berry said.

It was the third straight win for the Green Giants, but it was the first game back for Blake Whitcomb. The senior showed no rust from his absence, however, as he controlled the faceoff circle for Brady and scored a goal. Senior Ryan Kirk also had a goal for the Giants, who travel to Kennett on Friday looking to extend their winning streak.


Concord 15, Salem 9

Concord (2-4) jumped out to a four-goal halftime lead and survived a Salem (1-4) scoring run in the second half.

The Crimson Tide led 6-2 at the break and went up 13-3 during the second half before the Blue Devils scored five straight goals to make it a closer game.

Senior captain Mary Annon scored six goals to lead the Tide, while midfielder Grace Orzechowski scored three goals. Adelaide Symmes (two goals), Hannah Bouchard (two) and Sarah Ek (goal) added offense for Concord.

“It was a complete team effort,” Tide Coach Steph Johnson said, “and everybody fought hard for the win.”

Legacy Comments0
There are no comments yet. Be the first!
Post a Comment

You must be registered to comment on stories. Click here to register.