Headlines from around the world in sports
White Sox place Konerko, Crain on disabled list
CHICAGO – The Chicago White Sox placed slugger Paul Konerko and reliever Jesse Crain on the 15-day disabled list.
Konerko has a strained lower back while Crain has a strained right shoulder.
The team also recalled third baseman Brent Morel from Triple-A Charlotte and purchased the contract of left-hander David Purcey from the minor league club before last night’s game against Baltimore.
Manager Robin Ventura said he expects Konerko and Crain back after the All-Star break.
Konerko, batting .249 with seven home runs and 30 RBI, returned to the lineup Tuesday after missing the first six games of the homestand. Ventura said Konerko “didn’t feel right” by the end of the night.
Crain, one of the White Sox’s top trade assets, is 2-3 with a 0.74 ERA. His shoulder flared up while he was warming up during Tuesday’s game.
A-Rod hitless again during rehab game for Charleston
CHARLESTON, S.C. – Yankees slugger Alex Rodriguez grounded out twice and turned a double play on his only chance at third in the second game of his minor league rehab stint with Class-A Charleston.
Rodriguez is recovering from left hip surgery in January. He played his first game since a miserable October on Tuesday night, hitting into a double play and striking out in two at-bats.
The three-time AL MVP played three innings last night. He bounced out to the first baseman in the first inning and grounded to the second baseman in the third.
Yankees put Nix on DL, sign Cruz as replacement SS
MINNEAPOLIS – The New York Yankees placed infielder Jayson Nix on the 15-day disabled list because of a strained right hamstring and signed infielder Luis Cruz yesterday.
Nix didn’t play against the Twins on Tuesday but said then he thought he would be able to play after a day to rest. But Yankees Manager Joe Girardi said an MRI test revealed a more severe Grade 2 strain than initially believed, and the team decided to shut down Nix.
The 29-year-old Cruz was let go by the Los Angeles Dodgers last week after hitting just .127 in 118 at-bats. Cruz has played shortstop, third base and second base during stints with Milwaukee and Pittsburgh since making his major league debut in 2008.
DA: Arrest warrant for 49ers Brooks filed in error
SAN FRANCISCO – The Santa Clara District Attorney’s Office said it erroneously filed an arrest warrant for 49ers linebacker Ahmad Brooks after allegations that he hit a teammate on the head with a beer bottle.
Assistant District Attorney Karyn Sinunu-Towery said yesterday that the office is still investigating and will decide next week whether or not to bring charges.
She said there is no outstanding arrest warrant.
Prosecutors filed the warrant in error last Thursday. According to the police, Brooks hit teammate Lamar Divens with the bottle three times and punched him in the face on June 8.
A person who answered the telephone at a number listed for Brooks referred comment to the 49ers. The team said in an email that it was aware of the situation, but would not comment.
Ginobili said he’s staying with Spurs for two years
SAN ANTONIO – Manu Ginobili is sticking around to see if the San Antonio Spurs can get back to the top.
Ginobili tweeted yesterday that he is staying with the team he has helped win three NBA titles and nearly a fourth last month.
The Argentine star writes: “Thrilled to announce that as I always hoped, I’m gonna stay with the @Spurs for two more years.”
Ginobili, who turns 36 this month, battled injuries during the season and said he would think about retirement after the playoffs. But he helped the Spurs come within 28 seconds of the championship before falling to the Miami Heat in seven games, and his return ensures the longtime Big Three that includes Tim Duncan and Tony Parker will be in place next season.
Bulls’ Rose says sitting out was ‘right decision’
CHICAGO – Chicago Bulls star Derrick Rose said he’s still recovering from knee surgery and vows to show sitting out last season was the right decision.
In an interview posted yesterday on the team’s website, Rose said he had to be selfish in his rehab as he tried to work his way back from a torn anterior cruciate ligament in his left knee and that sitting out was “one of the hardest things” he’s experienced.
He also said fans will understand it was “the right decision” when they see him back on the court.
Pacers sign first-round pick Hill, free agent Sloan
INDIANAPOLIS – Indiana signed first-round draft pick Solomon Hill and free-agent guard Donald Sloan yesterday.
The Pacers did not release terms.
Hill was a surprise choice at No. 23 overall in last week’s NBA draft. Most analysts did not believe the 6-foot-7 swingman from Arizona would be taken in the first round but the Pacers believe he’s a good fit in their system.
Sloan played in 23 games last season with Cleveland and New Orleans, averaging 3.5 points, 1.7 assists and 1.2 rebounds.
Report: Kings’ Stoll hospitalized after seizure
LOS ANGELES – Los Angeles Kings center Jarret Stoll was hospitalized yesterday after suffering a seizure.
The Los Angeles Times reported that Stoll fell ill at his Hermosa Beach home.
Kings General Manager Dean Lombardi told the Times that he visited Stoll in the hospital and the “bottom line is that he’s fine. Now the issue is what caused it.”
The 31-year-old Stoll missed all but the first game of the Kings’ second-round playoff series against the Sharks after suffering a concussion following a hit by San Jose’s Raffi Torres. He returned in time for the Western Conference finals against the Chicago Blackhawks.
Stoll also suffered a concussion during the 2006-07 season while playing for the Edmonton Oilers.
Ovechkin tops All-Stars, earning sixth selection
NEW YORK – Alex Ovechkin is an NHL first-team All-Star for the sixth time, but his first as a right wing.
The Washington Capitals star is the second player to make the team at multiple positions, joining Hockey Hall of Famer Mark Messier, a four-time selection – twice at left wing and twice at center.
Ovechkin, a five-time choice at left wing, had 32 goals in 48 games – including 23 in the final 23 – and earned his third Hart Trophy as MVP.
Despite playing only four of 48 games this season at left wing, Ovechkin earned enough votes at the position to qualify for second-team honors. Messier didn’t qualify at multiple positions in the same season.
Pittsburgh’s Sidney Crosby, a second-time selection to the first team, is the only other player in this year’s class to have made it before.
The first-timers include Pittsburgh left wing Chris Kunitz, defensemen P.K. Subban of Montreal and Ryan Suter of Minnesota, and Columbus goalie Sergei Bobrovsky, the Vezina Trophy winner.
Joining Ovechkin on the second team were right wing Martin St. Louis of Tampa Bay, Chicago Blackhawks center Jonathan Toews, defensemen Kris Letang of Pittsburgh and Francois Beauchemin of the Anaheim Ducks, and New York Rangers goalie Henrik Lundqvist, last year’s Vezina winner.
Blackhawks re-sign Leddy
CHICAGO – The Chicago Blackhawks re-signed defenseman Nick Leddy to a two-year deal.
The team announced the contract yesterday.
Leddy played in every game this season for Chicago, helping the Blackhawks win the Stanley Cup. He had six goals and 12 assists in the regular season, and then had two assists in 23 playoff games.
Leddy was selected by Minnesota in the first round of the 2009 draft. He was traded to Chicago in February 2010.
The 22-year-old Leddy, who was set to become a restricted free agent, has 13 goals and 49 assists in 176 regular-season games over three seasons.
Coyotes appear on solid ground after vote
GLENDALE, Ariz. – The Phoenix Coyotes’ bid to find stability dragged on for four years and stretched for four more tense hours Tuesday as the Glendale City Council debated on a lease agreement with a group trying to buy the team.
Finally, as the clock ticked toward midnight, the council voted 4-3 in favor of the deal, all but ensuring the Coyotes will stay in Arizona.
Renaissance Sports and Entertainment still must complete the lease deal and its purchase of the team from the NHL by Aug, 5, but it appears their fight to find an owner has ended.
Now, after four years of being run by the league, the Coyotes will be able to compete for players who had been financially out of their reach and retain more of the players already on the team.
Madrid shines in 2020 bid presentations
LAUSANNE, Switzerland – With Spain’s crown prince stealing the show, Madrid made the strongest impression yesterday among the three cities bidding for the 2020 Olympics.
Madrid, Istanbul and Tokyo made their pitches to IOC members, hoping to seize the momentum in the final two months before the vote.
This was the first time the cities had the chance to present their case directly to the electorate – and Madrid made the most of it.
Counted out by many a few months ago because of Spain’s severe financial troubles, Madrid hammered home the message that it offers a low-cost, no-risk bid.
And Crown Prince Felipe, a former Olympic sailor who was Spain’s flag-bearer at the 1992 Barcelona Games, charmed the members with his speech.