Headlines from around the world in sports
Oakland slugger Cespedes in Home Run Derby
Yoenis Cespedes of the Oakland Athletics will swing for the Citi Field fences in the Home Run Derby on Monday night, rounding out the eight-player field.
Major League Baseball announced yesterday that Cespedes was selected by American League captain Robinson Cano of the New York Yankees. MLB revealed the other participants Monday, saying Cano’s final pick had not yet been finalized.
Cespedes will become the fourth player not chosen for the All-Star game to compete in the event. The others were Rafael Palmeiro (2004), Hee-Seop Choi (2005) and Ryan Howard (2007), who was defending his crown from the previous year.
The other members of the AL squad are Baltimore slugger Chris Davis and Detroit’s Prince Fielder.
National League captain David Wright of the hometown New York Mets tabbed Washington’s Bryce Harper along with Colorado teammates Carlos Gonzalez and Michael Cuddyer.
Cardinals trade reliever Boggs to Rockies
ST. LOUIS – The St. Louis Cardinals traded struggling reliever Mitchell Boggs to Colorado for the Rockies’ international signing bonus slot No. 4.
Boggs was 0-3 with an 11.05 ERA in 18 games for the Cardinals this season. He was demoted to Triple-A Memphis, where he went 0-2 with a 5.70 ERA in 18 games.
The 29-year-old right-hander went 13-15 with a 4.15 ERA in 232 games for St. Louis from 2008-13. He was a member of the Cardinals’ 2011 World Series championship team and went 4-1 with a 2.21 ERA in 78 relief appearances last year.
St. Louis also released veteran infielder Ty Wigginton and selected the contract of catcher Rob Johnson from Memphis.
Dying fan meets Cincinnati’s Votto, sees no-hitter
CINCINNATI – A Cincinnati Reds fan who was dying of cancer got to see a final baseball game, with an assist from Joey Votto.
Jeffrey Crews of suburban Dayton was in the stands July 2, the day Homer Bailey of the Reds pitched a no-hitter. Two days later, Crews died at home of brain cancer at 62.
His wife, Colleen, said her husband decided to spend his last weeks with family and friends rather than undergo treatment. A family friend reached out to someone who knew Votto.
The result was field-level seats and field passes for batting practice. The Reds’ star first baseman posed for pictures with Crews and gave him an autographed bat.
Source: Lions, Stafford agree to $53M extension
DETROIT – A person familiar with the deal told the Associated Press that the Detroit Lions agreed to terms on a $53 million, three-year contract extension with Matthew Stafford.
The person, who spoke yesterday on the condition of anonymity because the agreement has not been announced, said Stafford will make $41.5 million in guarantees as part of a deal that keep him under contract through the 2017 season.
Detroit drafted Stafford No. 1 overall in 2009 and signed him to a six-year contract worth as much as $78 million with $41.7 million in guarantees. After two injury-shortened seasons, he helped the franchise reach the playoffs two years ago for the first time in more than a decade.
49ers sign 1st-round pick Reid to 4-year deal
SANTA CLARA, Calif. – The San Francisco 49ers signed first-round pick Eric Reid to a four-year contract.
With yesterday’s announcement, San Francisco has all 11 of its draft picks signed. The former LSU safety had actually tweeted a photo from Instagram of him signing a contract last week.
Financial terms of the deal were not disclosed. The 49ers drafted Reid 18th overall in April.
Source: Bucks trade Luc Mbah a Moute to Kings
A person with knowledge of the deal said the Milwaukee Bucks traded forward Luc Mbah a Moute to the Sacramento Kings in exchange for a 2016 second-round draft pick.
The person, who spoke on condition of anonymity to the Associated Press because teams can’t confirm moves until the new league year begins today, said Milwaukee retains the right to swap the pick for a 2018 selection.
The 6-foot-8, 230-pound forward has emerged as a standout defender since he was drafted 37th overall out of UCLA by the Bucks in 2008. He has averaged 6.9 points and 5.3 rebounds in 25.1 minutes per game in his career.
Source: Warriors to sign Douglas, O’Neal
OAKLAND, Calif. – A person with knowledge of the situation said the Golden State Warriors reached agreements with guard Toney Douglas and center Jermaine O’Neal on free agent deals. Both are believed to be one-year contracts.
Douglas played for the Houston Rockets and Sacramento Kings last season, averaging 7.5 points and 2.1 assists in 18.1 minutes per game. The 27-year-old gives Golden State some added backcourt depth to help alleviate the loss of Jarrett Jack, who signed a four-year, $25 million deal with Cleveland.
The Warriors are hoping the 34-year-old O’Neal can be a reliable backup to Andrew Bogut while Festus Ezeli recovers from right knee surgery.
Harris picks Dallas, where career started
DALLAS – Free agent guard Devin Harris is headed back to the Dallas Mavericks, nine years after starting his career with them as a high draft pick.
Dallas star Dirk Nowitzki tweeted yesterday that Harris was rejoining the Mavericks, who ended up with him at No. 5 overall in the 2004 draft in a deal that sent Antawn Jamison to Washington. Harris’s contract is reportedly for three years and $9 million.
The 30-year-old Harris averaged 9.9 points and 3.4 assists in Atlanta last season.
Harris spent his first 3½ seasons in Dallas and played in the 2006 NBA Finals before going to New Jersey in the trade for Jason Kidd in 2008. The Nets sent him to Utah when they acquired Deron Williams in 2011.
Top seed Querrey ousted in Newport
NEWPORT, R.I. – Top-seeded Sam Querrey was upset in the opening round of the Hall of Fame Tennis Championships yesterday, falling to fellow American Tim Smyczek, 6-4, 7-6 (8).
Querrey, a 2009 Newport finalist who entered the week ranked 21st in the world, was broken in the seventh game of the opening set by the 120th-ranked Smyczek.
Smyczek was ranked a career-best 101 in late February.
It was the second match this year between the two. Querrey won in straight sets at Indian Wells in March.
Monfils beats Mathieu in Stuttgart, to face Mayer
STUTTGART, Germany – Gael Monfils of France defeated compatriot Paul-Henri Mathieu, 7-6 (0), 6-4, yesterday to advance to the second round of the Mercedes Cup.
Monfils had 16 aces to set up a meeting with sixth-seeded Florian Mayer, who defeated another German, Andreas Beck, 6-4, 3-6, 6-1.
Victor Hanescu rallied to beat Dmitry Tursunov of Russia, 3-6, 6-3, 7-6 (7), in 2 hours, 25 minutes.
The Romanian will next face Brazilian Thomaz Bellucci, who defeated seventh-seeded Lukas Rosol of the Czech Republic, 6-4, 6-4. It was Rosol’s third consecutive loss.
Nikolay Davydenko of Russia rallied to beat Spain’s Daniel Munoz-De La Nava, 6-7 (6), 6-3, 6-4.
Safarova, Cornet upset at Hungarian GP
BUDAPEST, Hungary – The Hungarian Grand Prix lost its top two seeded players in the first round yesterday, as Lucie Safarova and Alize Cornet bowed out of the tournament.
Russia’s Valeria Solovyeva routed top-seeded Safarova of the Czech Republic, 6-1, 6-0, while fellow Czech Andrea Hlavackova was a 6-4, 6-2 winner against France’s Cornet, who won the event in 2008.
FIA improves pit safety after runaway tire fiasco
PARIS – Formula One’s governing body announced new rules to improve safety in the pits following an accident at the German Grand Prix in which a cameraman was injured by a runaway tire that came loose from a car.
The FIA said only team personnel and marshals will be allowed in the pits during qualifying and races. Accredited media will be confined to the pit wall.
It will also seek the World Motor Sports Council’s approval for team personnel to wear head protection plus request a reduction in the pit speed limit from 100 kilometers per hour to 80.
The wheel from Mark Webber’s Red Bull injured Paul Allen last Sunday. Allen was hospitalized but is expected to make a full recovery.
Red Bull was fined $38,650.