Headlines from around the world in sports
Buccaneers sign former
Giant Tynes to replace Barth
TAMPA, Fla. — Tampa Bay Buccaneers kicker Connor Barth will miss the upcoming season with a torn Achilles tendon and the team has signed two-time Super Bowl winner Lawrence Tynes as his replacement.
The Bucs announced yesterday that Barth was injured last week in his hometown of Wilmington, N.C., and underwent successful surgery on Monday. He will be placed on the non-football injury list.
Tynes is a ninth-year pro who spent the past six seasons with the New York Giants. Barth has converted a team-record 84.3 percent of his field goal attempts over the past four seasons
Lions release injured RB Best
ALLEN PARK, Mich. – The Detroit Lions released running back Jahvid Best, a first-round draft pick from 2010 who hasn’t played since October 2011 because of concussion problems.
Best accounted for 1,000-plus yards and six touchdowns as a rookie, but he was limited to six games during the 2011 season after what he said was the third concussion of his football career.
Detroit signed Reggie Bush in the offseason to help boost its inconsistent running game.
Big Ten, Lions team up
for new Detroit bowl game
The Big Ten and the Detroit Lions announced a six-year agreement to play a bowl game at Ford Field, and a person familiar with the situation said the Atlantic Coast Conference is expected to provide the opponent. The new bowl will start in 2014 and it has not been named or sponsored.
The person familiar with the situation told the Associated Press the new Detroit postseason game is expected to be a matchup of Big Ten and ACC teams.
The new game could spell the end for the Little Caesars Pizza Bowl, which has been played in Detroit and matched the Big Ten and Mid-American Conference.
Raptors set to buy out
veteran Camby’s contract
TORONTO – The Toronto Raptors agreed to buy out center Marcus Camby’s contract and place him on waivers.
Camby, acquired as part of the trade that sent Andrea Bargnani to the New York Knicks, was owed $7.5 million over the final two years of his contract.
The 39-year-old center appeared in just 24 games last season for the Knicks, averaging 1.8 points per game. Camby was picked second overall by Toronto in the 1996 draft and has played 973 games during his career. He expressed a desire to play for a contending team.
Predators sign forward
Clune to 2-year extension
NASHVILLE, Tenn. – The Nashville Predators signed forward Rich Clune to a two-year, $1.7 million contract yesterday, extending his deal through the 2015-16 season.
Clune, 26, had nine points in 47 games last season and ranked fourth in the NHL with 113 penalty minutes, the first Predator to top the 100-minute mark in four seasons. The Toronto native ranked sixth in the NHL with 159 hits and tied for second with 13 major penalties.
Michigan signs Beilein through ’18-19 season
Michigan men’s basketball Coach John Beilein signed a new deal that keeps him with the Wolverines through the 2018-19 season.
Athletic Director Dave Brandon told the Associated Press yesterday that Beilein signed a three-year extension that replaces his previous contract. The 60-year-old Beilein will make $2.45 million a year in total compensation.
Michigan hired Beilein in March 2007, a week after he led West Virginia to the NIT championship. Last year, the Wolverines tied a school record with 31 wins and lost in the NCAA championship game to Louisville.
Former U.S. Olympian
Johnson fights infection
The family of former Olympic downhill champion Bill Johnson, 53, said he is dealing with a life-threatening infection that has attacked his major organs and that he no longer wants to go through treatment.
Hospitalized since June 29, Johnson’s mother said in a phone interview the one-time daredevil skier refuses a feeding tube, even though it hurts to swallow. He no longer wants supplemental oxygen or antibiotics that could possibly help.
In recent years, Johnson’s health has been on the decline because of mini strokes followed by a major one.
Federer rallies to win
at German Championships
HAMBURG, Germany – Roger Federer rallied to beat Daniel Brands, 3-6, 6-3, 6-2, yesterday at the German Tennis Championships in his first match since his second-round loss at Wimbledon last month.
Federer will play qualifier Jan Hajek of the Czech Republic, who beat 15th-seeded Ernests Gulbis of Latvia, 6-4, 2-6, 6-4.
Tommy Haas outlasted qualifier Blaz Kavcic of Slovenia, 6-1, 4-6, 6-4, to advance to the third round.
Defending champion Juan Monaco of Argentina, seeded fifth, beat Gael Monfils 6-4, 6-4.
out of Gastein with injury
BAD GASTEIN, Austria – Top-seeded Mona Barthel of Germany pulled out with a shoulder injury while trailing, 6-2, 4-3, to the 725th-ranked Lisa-Maria Moser in the second round of the Gastein Ladies yesterday.
Playing in her first WTA event, Moser broke twice to take the opening set and the Austrian wildcard was a break up in the second when the 31st-ranked Barthel withdrew.
In the quarterfinals, Moser will play Andrea Hlavackova of Czech Republic, who rallied to beat Viktorija Golubic of Switzerland, 5-7, 6-1, 6-0.
Four players into
Swedish Open quarters
BASTAD, Sweden – Fifth-seeded Lourdes Dominguez Lino, No. 8 Johanna Larsson, Klara Zakopalova and Virginie Razzano reached the quarterfinals of the Swedish Open yesterday.
Dominguez Lino rallied past Teliana Pereira, 3-6, 6-4, 6-3, and Larsson defeated Nina Bratchikova, 6-2, 6-3, at the clay-court tournament on Sweden’s west coast.
Zakopalova broke serve five times to beat Arantxa Parra Santonja, 6-3, 6-1, and Razzano came from behind to down Alexandra Dulgheru, 3-6, 6-0, 6-4.
in Claro Open Colombia
BOGOTA, Colombia – Second-seeded Kevin Anderson of South Africa beat Ecuador’s Emilio Gomez, 6-3, 7-6 (2), last night in a rain-delayed match in the Claro Open Colombia.
Anderson set up a third-round match against sixth-seeded Santiago Giraldo of Colombia, a 3-6, 6-3, 6-4 winner over Australia’s Chris Guccione in the hard-court tournament.
Croatia’s Ivo Karlovic also advanced, beating third-seeded Igor Sijsling of the Netherlands, 6-3, 7-6 (14). In the late match, fifth-seeded Adrian Mannarino routed Victor Estrella Burgos, 6-1, 6-2.
Chelsea bid for United
striker Rooney rejected
LONDON – Chelsea’s bid to sign Manchester United striker Wayne Rooney was rejected by the English Premier League champion.
The 27-year-old Rooney has been pushing for a move since expressing his frustration to the club about his lack of playing time at the end of last season.
Alex Ferguson and David Moyes, who succeeded his fellow Scot as manager in May, have insisted Rooney was not available.