Headlines from around the world in sports
New Cavaliers C Bynum introduced in Cleveland
INDEPENDENCE, Ohio – Andrew Bynum is officially a member of the Cleveland Cavaliers.
The free agent center signed a two-year, $24 million contract at the team’s suburban training facility yesterday, and he was introduced by general manager Chris Grant.
Bynum sat out the entire 2012-2013 season with Philadelphia because of knee injuries, but said he will be medically cleared to practice by the start of training camp. He underwent surgery on both knees in March.
The Cavaliers only guaranteed Bynum $6 million in the first year of the deal, but he could earn an additional $6 million through performance incentives. Cleveland holds a $12 million team option for the second season.
The 25-year-old Bynum previously played for Cavaliers Coach Mike Brown with the Lakers two years ago, making his lone All-Star appearance.
Pistons sign Caldwell-Pope, Mitchell
AUBURN HILLS, Mich. – The Detroit Pistons signed draft picks Kentavious Caldwell-Pope and Tony Mitchell.
The team did not release terms of the deals. The Pistons used the eighth pick in the draft on Caldwell-Pope, a 6-foot-5 guard from Georgia who was the Southeastern Conference player of the year last season. Caldwell-Pope averaged 18.5 points per game as a sophomore in 2012-13 and shot 37 percent from 3-point range.
Caldwell-Pope was the first Georgia player since Dominique Wilkins in 1981 to sweep the major SEC player of the year awards.
The 6-foot-8 Mitchell, drafted in the second round, averaged 13 points and 8.5 rebounds last season as a sophomore for North Texas. He is also the school’s career and single-season record holder for blocked shots.
Reds’ Marshall has setback; Ludwick close to return
CINCINNATI – Left-handed reliever Sean Marshall had another minor setback in his comeback from a sore pitching shoulder.
Manager Dusty Baker said Marshall saw a doctor on Friday, a day after he had a problem while throwing. Baker said the issue is minor and Marshall could be back on his throwing program in a few days. The set-up specialist has been on the disabled list since May 24.
The Reds also are missing right-handed set-up man Jonathan Broxton, on the DL since June 15 with a sore elbow. He’s closer to being ready for a return.
Cleanup hitter Ryan Ludwick took batting practice on the field Thursday for the first time since he tore cartilage in his right shoulder on opening day. Baker said he’s close to starting a rehab assignment.
Aaron’s Atlanta home burglarized
ATLANTA – Atlanta police are investigating the burglary of baseball great Hank Aaron’s Atlanta home while he and his wife were away.
A police report obtained by the Atlanta Journal-Constitution says the 79-year-old Aaron missed a call from his alarm company Sunday night and asked a neighbor to check on his house Monday morning. The neighbor saw a broken window and called police, and officers arrived to find two BMWs missing from the garage and closets that had been ransacked.
Jewelry and car keys were the only other items taken.
Police have located both vehicles and said they expect to make an arrest soon.
A Mobile, Ala., native, Aaron played from 1954 to 1976 for Milwaukee and Atlanta.
As an Atlanta Brave, Aaron broke Babe Ruth’s record of 714 career home runs on April 8, 1974. His home run record of 755 home runs stood for nearly three decades.
Niners acquire cornerback Wright from Tampa Bay
SANTA CLARA, Calif. – The San Francisco 49ers acquired cornerback Eric Wright in a trade with Tampa Bay that sends a conditional selection in the 2014 draft to the Buccaneers.
The Bucs announced the deal yesterday.
Wright joined Tampa Bay last season and played in 10 games, finishing with 37 tackles and one interception. In 2011 with the Detroit Lions, Wright started 16 games and had four interceptions. He will join a crowded secondary and crop of cornerbacks, including Carlos Rogers, Tarell Brown, Chris Culliver and Nnamdi Asomugha.
The 49ers did announce earlier yesterday that they waived cornerback Lowell Rose, who was signed as an undrafted free agent May 7.
Browns sign rookie Bryant to 4-year contract
CLEVELAND – The Browns signed troubled rookie defensive lineman Armonty Bryant to a four-year contract.
The seventh-round pick was arrested on drunken driving charges shortly after he was drafted by Cleveland in April out of East Central (Okla.) University. The 6-foot-4, 265-pound Bryant was also arrested on a felony drug charge while in school.
The Browns are sticking by Bryant, who vowed at last month’s NFL rookie symposium to reward the team for its faith in him.
With Bryant signed, the only Cleveland rookies not under contract are linebacker Barkevious Mingo, the No. 6 overall pick, and cornerback Leon McFadden, a third-rounder.
Mingo’s signing is being held up as his agent and the Browns haggle over the contract’s “off-set” language.
The Browns’ first-year players reported to training camp on Friday. The veterans are due next week with the first practice scheduled for July 25.
Coyotes add F Yip
GLENDALE, Ariz. – The Phoenix Coyotes signed forward Brandon Yip to a one-year contract.
Yip played 34 games for Nashville, scoring three goals with five assists. In parts of four NHL seasons with Nashville and Colorado, the 28-year-old has played in 172 games, with 29 and 27 assists. He has also three goals and three assists in 16 playoff games.
Terms of the deal announced yesterday were not disclosed.
Vilanova steps down as Barca coach due to cancer
BARCELONA, Spain – Tito Vilanova is stepping down as Barcelona’s coach following a recurrence of throat cancer.
Club President Sandro Rosell said Vilanova’s treatment will be “incompatible” with staying on as coach of the Spanish champions.
Rosell made the announcement yesterday at a hurriedly called news conference.
The 44-year-old Vilanova had twice previously had to take a medical break from his duties at Barcelona, once as Pep Guardiola’s assistant in the 2011-12 season and again as its manager last season.
In his single season in charge he led Barcelona to the Spanish league title with a record-tying 100 points.
Two indicted for threatening Tygart
DENVER – Two men have been charged with directing threats toward U.S. Anti-Doping Agency CEO Travis Tygart in the aftermath of USADA’s decision to strip cyclist Lance Armstrong of his Tour de France titles.
One indictment, unsealed Thursday, alleges that Gerrit Keats of Clearwater, Fla., threatened Tygart via interstate communication in October.
The other, unsealed yesterday, makes the same charge against Robert Hutchins of Sandy, Utah. It says Hutchins made the threat on Aug. 23, 2012, the same day Armstrong announced he wasn’t going to fight the USADA sanctions for doping.
Both suspects are scheduled to make initial appearances in federal court in Denver on July 29.
Making threats via interstate commerce carries up to a five-year prison sentence and a $250,000 fine.
Shortly after Armstrong said he wouldn’t fight the USADA sanctions, Tygart revealed he had received death threats.