Headlines from around the world in sports
Washington Redskins defensive end Jarvis Jenkins (99) walks on the field during NFL football training camp in Richmond, Va., Friday, July 26, 2013. Jenkins has been suspended for four games without pay for violating the NFL's policy on performance enhancing substances, the league announced Friday. He remains eligible to practice at training camp and play in preseason games. (AP Photo/Steve Helber)
Carolina Panthers quarterback Cam Newton smiles as he walks off the field after an NFL football game against the Philadelphia Eagles, Monday, Nov. 26, 2012, in Philadelphia. Carolina won 30-22. (AP Photo/Michael Perez)
Redskins’ Jenkins suspended 4 games for failed test
RICHMOND, Va. – Washington Redskins defensive end Jarvis Jenkins was suspended for four games without pay yesterday for violating the NFL’s drugs policy.
Jenkins released a statement saying he was “shocked and confused” to learn that he had tested positive for a banned performance enhancing substance.
“It’s an obscure substance that I’ve never even heard of, and I still don’t know how it got into my body,” the statement said. “My only guess is that it came from one of the supplements I was taking around the time of the test, even though none of them listed anything banned.”
Jenkins remains eligible to practice at training camp and play in preseason games. He was on the field working with the first-string unit during the afternoon practice when the suspension was announced.
Jenkins will be eligible to return to the active roster on Sept. 30 following the team’s Week 4 game against the Oakland Raiders.
A second-round pick in 2011, Jenkins missed his rookie season with a right knee injury. He returned last year to start 14 games.
Newton: Focus on winning, not big contract
SPARTANBURG, S.C. – Cam Newton said the only thing on his mind as the Panthers open training camp is a three-letter word: Win.
Sure, Newton is aware of the $100 million contracts awarded this offseason to fellow NFL quarterbacks Joe Flacco and Matt Ryan – and the hefty deal that could await him after the season.
But Carolina’s franchise signal caller says a big contract isn’t what motivates him entering year three.
On seeing Ryan’s five-year, $103.75 million extension, Newton shrugged saying “I didn’t think anything. Good for him.”
Under the new CBA, Newton isn’t eligible for a contract extension until after this season.
But first he might have to prove he can win at the NFL level.
He’s 13-19 as a starter and hasn’t led Carolina to the playoffs.
Jets’ Holmes uncertain if he’ll be back this year
CORTLAND, N.Y. – Santonio Holmes said he “can’t answer” whether he will be able to return to the field for the New York Jets this season as he recovers from a serious foot injury.
Holmes said Friday on the first day of training camp practice that it’s all up to how the foot feels. He has been doing “quite a bit of running,” but most of it has been straight ahead with no cutting.
The wide receiver was placed on the active-physically unable to perform list earlier this week. He injured his left foot in Week 4 of last season, and needed two surgeries.
Holmes said a lot of the equipment he has been using to rehabilitate at the team’s facility in Florham Park, N.J., was transported to camp at SUNY Cortland.
Blackhawks announce three-year extension for Quenneville
CHICAGO – The Chicago Blackhawks and Coach Joel Quenneville agreed to a three-year contract extension that keeps him with the Stanley Cup champions through the 2016-17 season.
The Blackhawks announced the deal yesterday before the start of their annual fan convention at a downtown hotel.
The extension for Quenneville came as no surprise after the former NHL defenseman coached the Blackhawks to their second Stanley Cup title in three years. Chicago also had the NHL’s best record in the regular season, and Quenneville was a finalist for the Jack Adams Award, given to the head coach who has contributed most to his team’s success.
Quenneville’s deal was set to expire after the upcoming season. He is 222-106 in five seasons in Chicago.
Blues sign goalie Allen to two-year deal
ST. LOUIS – St. Louis Blues goalie Jake Allen signed a two-year-contract after his strong showing as a rookie.
Allen was 9-4-0 with a 2.46 goals-against average to lead rookie goalies, filling in when Jaroslav Halak was injured and Brian Elliott was slumping. His .692 winning percentage was a franchise rookie record and he was the team’s first rookie to win at least nine games since Curtis Joseph in 1989-90.
With Halak and Elliott also under contract next year, Allen could start the year in the minors. He was a second-round pick in the 2008 draft.
Ducks re-sign Palmieri to 3-year deal
ANAHEIM, Calif. – Right wing Kyle Palmieri re-signed with the Anaheim Ducks, agreeing to a three-year deal worth $4.4 million.
The restricted free agent agreed to the deal yesterday.
Palmieri had 10 goals and 11 assists in 42 games with the Pacific Division champion Ducks last season, his first full NHL campaign. He added five points in Anaheim’s first-round playoff loss to Detroit, tying for the team lead with three goals.
Palmieri has 15 goals in 70 NHL games over three seasons with the Ducks, who drafted the American forward in the first round in 2009.
The Ducks are hoping he’ll assume a more prominent offensive role next season after the departure of goal-scorer Bobby Ryan, who was traded to the Ottawa Senators earlier this month.
Pirates closer Grilli has strained right arm
MIAMI – Pittsburgh Pirates All-Star closer Jason Grilli was diagnosed with a flexor strain in his right arm and is out indefinitely.
Grilli, who is tied for the National League lead with 30 saves, injured the arm while pitching against the Washington Nationals on Monday night. He met with Dr. James Andrews, who ruled out surgery but said the 36-year-old Grilli should rest the arm for 10-14 days.
Huntington said Grilli will be re-evaluated in in two weeks but the typical recovery program for the injury is 1-2 months. Mark Melancon has taken over the closer role for the Pirates, who play in Miami on Friday night.
Langer, Wiebe share lead at British Seniors
SOUTHPORT, England – Mark Wiebe of the United States shot a 5-under 65 yesterday to share the lead with Bernhard Langer after the second round of the Senior British Open at Royal Birkdale.
Wiebe had four birdies on the back nine. Langer, the 2010 champion at Carnoustie, shot a 67 and made five birdies. Both players finished at 5-under 135.
The German dropped two strokes at No. 6 when he double-hit the ball.
David Frost of South Africa (68) finished third.
Injured Wawrinka retires against Lopez at Swiss Open
GSTAAD, Switzerland – A day after Roger Federer lost at the Swiss Open citing back pains, Stanislas Wawrinka retired from his quarterfinal match yesterday with the same injury.
The second-seeded Wawrinka stopped after a medical timeout more than 2 hours into his match with Feliciano Lopez, who was leading 6-4, 2-6, 4-3.
The 10th-ranked Wawrinka has won only five matches – all against players outside the top 50 – in seven visits since reaching the 2005 final of his home tournament.
The fifth-seeded Lopez will face Robin Haase of the Netherlands in the clay-court tournament on Saturday. The 57th-ranked Haase beat 2011 champion Marcel Granollers of Spain 5-7, 6-3, 7-6 (5).
Daniel Brands, who beat Federer, failed to build on that success in losing 6-3, 6-4 to Victor Hanescu. The 2008 Gstaad champion, Hanescu forced one service break in each set.
Mikhail Youzhny will face Hanescu after beating fourth-seeded Juan Monaco of Argentina 5-7, 6-4, 7-6 (7).
The sixth-seeded Russian saved three match points in the tiebreaker.