AP source: Napoli, Red Sox agree to shorter deal
FILE - In this April 21, 2012, file photo, Texas Rangers' Mike Napoli hits a solo home run against the Detroit Tigers in the ninth inning of a baseball game in Detroit. A person familiar with the negotiations says Napoli and the Boston Red Sox agreed to a $39 million, three-year contract Monday, Dec. 3. (AP Photo/Paul Sancya, File)
Napoli’s deal one year
The Boston Red Sox and catcher Mike Napoli agreed to shorten their deal to a one-year contract worth $5 million, according to a person with knowledge of the negotiations.
The deal includes the possibility of bonuses that could raise Napoli’s 2013 income to $13 million, according to the person, who spoke on condition of anonymity yesterday because the agreement was not yet final. That amount is what Napoli would have earned this season in the $39 million, three-year deal agreed to at last month’s winter meetings, subject to a successful physical.
The Red Sox became concerned about Napoli’s hip, and that agreement was never announced. The person said language in the new deal still had to be finalized and Napoli’s deal likely will be announced next week.
A 31-year-old catcher and first baseman, Napoli hit .227 with 24 homers and 56 RBI last year as he became a first-time All-Star.
He is a .306 career hitter at Fenway Park, with seven homers and 17 RBI.