P/sunny
71°
P/sunny
Hi 70° | Lo 35°
N.H. News Roundup

N.H. News Roundup: Warm up with a brew, video games keeping state young?

Since moving to New Hampshire a little less than two years ago, there are two things I always tell my non-New Englander friends I’ve been impressed with: the quality of recreational basketball and almost everything about the beer.

My friends in Missouri would disown me for breaking away from Anheuser Busch – but in my mind, the quality, selection and price of the beer here trumps everything about the beer in the Midwest. There are breweries everywhere around here, and I’ve really enjoyed my tours and visits. Smuttynose’s Old Brown Dog has quickly become my beer of choice, and Red Hook’s sampler packs usually have a reserved seat in my fridge.

So it comes as no surprise that Portsmouth’s 4th Annual Beer Week has caught my eye. The 10-day series began last Saturday and will end on Monday. According to the official site, the goal of the event is “to foster a collaborative environment, so we can push Portsmouth further along into the national eye as the great beer city that we locally know it as.”

Jessica Jordan at NH.com has a quick roundup of some upcoming highlights. You can also find the series’s full schedule at its website.

In other news:

∎ Speed limits were reduced on major roads this morning to prevent weather-related traffic accidents.

∎ New Hampshire is the home state of video games, and now the video game industry could keep the Granite State young and tech-savvy.

∎ Gov. Hassan visited with the Portsmouth Herald this morning. The paper live-blogged the meeting.

∎ Firefighters in Nashua contained an oil leak into the Nashua River and are looking for its source.

∎ Southern New Hampshire University’s College for America uses the web to deliver a low cost, high quality Associates Degree using a competency-based approach.

∎ The youth confinement rate in NH dropped 37% from 1997 to 2010, says new a new KIDS COUNT data snapshot.

∎ Curious kids who want to learn what lives under the snow can attend a workshop tomorrow at the Squam Lakes Natural Science Center.

∎ Former New Hampshire Fisher Cat J.P. Arencibia takes a stand against bullying and surprises a fan with two tickets to the Blue Jays’ season opener.

(Have ideas for the roundup? Reach web editor Kevin Deane at 369-3302 or email him at kdeane@cmonitor.com. Follow him on Twitter, @CM_KDeane.)

There are no comments yet. Be the first!
Post a Comment

You must be registered to comment on stories. Click here to register.