P/sunny
78°
P/sunny
Hi 82° | Lo 56°
N.H. News Roundup

N.H. News Roundup: Prom and asking the tough question, a dental shortage?

• (Video credit: YouTube – Andrew Peick)

• After deciding to ask her to prom earlier in the day, Mike St. Pierre, 17,  found himself standing near the roundabout at School and Centre streets in Concord waiting for Hannah Prost, left, and the rest of the Bishop Brady girls lacrosse team to come by on their run. With help orchestrating the event from friends, St. Pierre held a bouquet of flowers and a sign that read "Hannah...Prom?" at a spot on the team's route. Prost said yes. <br/> <br/>(ANDREA MORALES / Monitor staff)

After deciding to ask her to prom earlier in the day, Mike St. Pierre, 17, found himself standing near the roundabout at School and Centre streets in Concord waiting for Hannah Prost, left, and the rest of the Bishop Brady girls lacrosse team to come by on their run. With help orchestrating the event from friends, St. Pierre held a bouquet of flowers and a sign that read "Hannah...Prom?" at a spot on the team's route. Prost said yes.

(ANDREA MORALES / Monitor staff)

• After deciding to ask her to prom earlier in the day, Mike St. Pierre, 17,  found himself standing near the roundabout at School and Centre streets in Concord waiting for Hannah Prost, left, and the rest of the Bishop Brady girls lacrosse team to come by on their run. With help orchestrating the event from friends, St. Pierre held a bouquet of flowers and a sign that read "Hannah...Prom?" at a spot on the team's route. Prost said yes. <br/> <br/>(ANDREA MORALES / Monitor staff)

It’s April. It finally looks like the snow might be gone for the season. Spring is starting to feel like spring. So of course, it must be prom season.

Prom is fun, and everything about it should be fun. But that doesn’t mean it shouldn't be nerve-racking for some young guys out there, too. After all, that’s half the fun.

I remember prom. I went to three. (That’s right. I was asked by a girl from another school my junior year – if that sounds like bragging, you’re totally right. I’m bragging a decade after the fact, and I’m okay with that.) Asking was always my favorite part.

I played tennis in high school and during my senior year, I asked a girl who played softball. They practiced next to the courts, so I wrote “PROM?” on a tennis ball and took a baseball swing to get it over there on the softball diamond. She didn’t find it for 15 minutes, but she still said yes! Lucky me.

That wouldn’t even place if prom proposals were an Olympic sport today, though. We’ve already seen stories from hilarious and over-the-top events.

We have the video above from a local Merrimack Valley student to soccer superstar Alex Morgan. And we’ve also seen the mid-run bombardment of a Bishop Brady lacrosse team last week.

Needless to say, if prom is the minor leagues of proposals – these guys’ future wives have something to look forward to.

∎ If you’re looking to alter your attire for the big night, you might want to pay Dena Patnaude a visit. Her shop may be small, but her work is big time.

∎ Deciding what to do with your hair? Don’t ignore the braid.

In other news:

∎ Could the dental shortage in New Hampshire be coming to an end?

∎ The Sarah Long Bridge could be reopening in days after it was hit by a ship yesterday.

∎ Gov. Maggie Hassan is expected to be the keynote speaker at the UNH GLBT’s pancake breakfast.

 Liquid cremation could be legal again in the Granite State soon. Proponents says it’s more environmentally friendly.

 It might be a chilly week.

∎ A Claremont mother is trying to raise funds to build and name a pavilion in her son's memory.

∎ A dance brought two schools together.

∎ Greenland is preparing a ceremony on April 12, which marks the one-year anniversary of the death of police Chief Michael Maloney.

∎ New Hampshire is considering selling naming rights to its rest stops.

(Have ideas for the roundup? Reach web editor Kevin Deane at 369-3302 or email him at kdeane@cmonitor.com. Follow him on Twitter, @CM_KDeane.)

There are no comments yet. Be the first!
Post a Comment

You must be registered to comment on stories. Click here to register.