Cloudy
36°
Cloudy
Hi 41° | Lo 24°

The Job Interview: New Beaver Meadow Golf Pro Julie Donlon prepares for season

• Beaver Meadow's new golf pro, Julie Dolon, talks to Jan Denson about the condition of the course on the first day of the season; Wednesday, April 10, 2013. Denson hit the first birdie of the course's season on her morning golf game.<br/><br/>(SAMANTHA GORESH / Monitor staff)

Beaver Meadow's new golf pro, Julie Dolon, talks to Jan Denson about the condition of the course on the first day of the season; Wednesday, April 10, 2013. Denson hit the first birdie of the course's season on her morning golf game.

(SAMANTHA GORESH / Monitor staff)

• Beaver Meadow's golf pro, Julie Dolon, shows Cathy Walker some of the new women's clothes in the pro shop on Dolon's first day at Beaver Meadows Gold Course in Concord; Wednesday, April 10, 2013. Throughout the morning, Walker and other women commented that they liked that Dolon brought more of a veriety of women's golf clothes into the pro shop this year.<br/><br/>(SAMANTHA GORESH / Monitor staff)

Beaver Meadow's golf pro, Julie Dolon, shows Cathy Walker some of the new women's clothes in the pro shop on Dolon's first day at Beaver Meadows Gold Course in Concord; Wednesday, April 10, 2013. Throughout the morning, Walker and other women commented that they liked that Dolon brought more of a veriety of women's golf clothes into the pro shop this year.

• Beaver Meadow's golf pro, Julie Dolon, shows Cathy Walker some of the new women's clothes in the pro shop on Dolon's first day at Beaver Meadows Gold Course in Concord; Wednesday, April 10, 2013. Throughout the morning, Walker and other women commented that they liked that Dolon brought more of a veriety of women's golf clothes into the pro shop this year.<br/><br/>(SAMANTHA GORESH / Monitor staff)

Beaver Meadow's golf pro, Julie Dolon, shows Cathy Walker some of the new women's clothes in the pro shop on Dolon's first day at Beaver Meadows Gold Course in Concord; Wednesday, April 10, 2013. Throughout the morning, Walker and other women commented that they liked that Dolon brought more of a veriety of women's golf clothes into the pro shop this year.

• Beaver Meadow's new golf pro, Julie Dolon, talks to Jan Denson about the condition of the course on the first day of the season; Wednesday, April 10, 2013. Denson hit the first birdie of the course's season on her morning golf game.<br/><br/>(SAMANTHA GORESH / Monitor staff)

Shortly after Julie Donlon started playing golf in college, she decided to make it her career.

This year, the 43-year-old PGA professional will bring her love of golf to Concord’s Beaver Meadow Golf Course.

Changes to the city-owned golf course in the past year include the hiring of a golf professional to work as a city employee. After the golf course lost about $200,000 in the last two fiscal years, city officials have said they hope to increase revenue and attract new members.

For years, the golf pro job and pro shop services had been contracted out to PGA professional Ed Deshaies. Deshaies, who was the golf pro for three decades, will continue teaching golf lessons at Beaver Meadow this year.

Donlon, a Class A PGA professional, will manage the pro shop, promote the course, organize tournaments and teach golf lessons.

As the course opened for the season last week, Donlon took time to speak with the Monitor.

Where did you work before coming to Beaver Meadow? For the last three years I’ve been teaching at Portsmouth Country Club, and prior to that I was at The Oaks in Somersworth for four years.

What brought you to Concord? Beaver Meadow.

Do you live in Concord? I live in Milton.

How long playing golf? I started playing golf my senior year in college when my parents became members at Rochester Country Club. I fell in love with it. I played basketball at the University of New Hampshire, and when I learned golf, I just became really in love with it, and it didn’t take me long before I knew that’s what I wanted to do as my career.

Have you always worked in golf? Right out of college I coached girls’ basketball and was a substitute teacher. I coached Spaulding High School girls’ basketball . . . and gave that up to do my internship with the PGA of America, which required me to go south for the winters.

What did working with the PGA involve? It would involve doing teaching, golf lessons and working in the pro shop, it would involve all of the responsibilities that an assistant golf professional would do, but I would just do it in the winters . . . so I could get my class A card, which means you can become a head golf professional.

Have you played at Beaver Meadow before? I have never played Beaver Meadow. . . . I’ve walked the front nine already before the course is open. (Wednesday) is the first day that we’re open, so that’s exciting. And (Wednesday) I drove around with my boss (golf course manager) Sid Chase on the back nine, and it’s a beautiful course.

What are your plans or ideas for Beaver Meadow? Part of my job responsibility as a PGA member is to grow the game of golf in any way or aspect that we can . . . to get more members here and to retain our membership. And we’re very fortunate to have (former Beaver Meadow golf pro) Ed Deshaies back as our director of player development. So I think it’s going to be a really exciting summer.

What is it like being one of few female golf pros? I found out Beaver Meadow was founded by three women. And now I’m one of three women in the state of New Hampshire that are head golf professionals.

Do you have a favorite golf course? Portsmouth Country Club, and I’m lucky enough to be a member there as well.
. . . It’s just beautiful. It’s on the bay, and the course is always in great shape. But I haven’t played Beaver Meadow yet, so we’ll have to wait and see.

(Laura McCrystal can be reached at 369-3312 or lmccrystal@cmonitor.com or on Twitter @lmccrystal.)

Legacy Comments0
There are no comments yet. Be the first!
Post a Comment

You must be registered to comment on stories. Click here to register.