Clouds and sun
66°
Clouds and sun
Hi 66° | Lo 42°
N.H. News Roundup

N.H. News Roundup: Diamond’s ‘Sweet Caroline’ a sweet tribute; where’s Elizabeth Marriott?

House clerk Karen Wadsworth holds hands with representatives on the floor at Representatives Hall and sings Neil Diamond's "Sweet Caroline" on Wednesday, April 24, 2013. Members of the house and its staff made singing the unofficial theme for the Boston Red Sox to show solidarity with the city of Boston one of the last items on their agenda before taking a two-week break.

(ANDREA MORALES / Monitor staff)

House clerk Karen Wadsworth holds hands with representatives on the floor at Representatives Hall and sings Neil Diamond's "Sweet Caroline" on Wednesday, April 24, 2013. Members of the house and its staff made singing the unofficial theme for the Boston Red Sox to show solidarity with the city of Boston one of the last items on their agenda before taking a two-week break. (ANDREA MORALES / Monitor staff)

There’s was a fun story that came out of the State House yesterday.

Well two, actaully. 14 slaves were freed posthumously from the Revolutionary War-era, but the story I’m actually talking about is that the legislators erupted in Neil Diamond’s “Sweet Caroline” at the end of the session to show solidarity with our neighbors in Boston. That’s pretty fun.

Now, I’ve liked that song since I listened to Diamond’s greatest hits in my parents’ car growing up. And I’ve loved that song since I got my university’s all-night diner to spontaneously breakout and sing it during my freshman year.

But it’s become a cool thing to rally around to show the support for a city that’s clearly hurting. Our legislators aren’t the only ones who took notice though.

The hated New York Yankees (and other MLB teams) sang it during a home game and more surprisingly (okay probably less, but still . . . ) Diamond himself came to Fenway unannounced over the weekend and sang the traditional Fenway tune in person.

And, as there’s been a spike in sales (up by 597 percent) for “Sweet Caroline,” Diamond has also decided to donate the proceeds to bombing victims.

You can watch the video of Diamond’s performance here.

It’s all pretty cool, and I’ll definitely give my supportive BA BA BA.

In other news

∎ Officials said Dzhokhar Tsarnaev, the surviving Boston Marathon bombing suspect, acknowledged to the FBI his role in the attacks but did so before he was read his Miranda rights.

∎ There’s a clearer picture of what happened to missing UNH student Elizabeth Marriott, prosecutors say.

∎ Charles Normil, the suspect in the invasion and attempted murder of Dr. Eduardo Quesada and his wife Sonia, had already been arrested for breaking into another home.

 A two-alarm fire this morning has displaced eight people, including two children, in Manchester.

∎ State Boy Scout leaders say the new policy on homosexual membership isn’t good enough.

∎ The Hoops on Wheels Basketball tournament is on Saturday at Pembroke Academy. (#HoopsonWheels).

∎ Several New Hampshire meads won medals at the Mazer Cup.

∎ Here are 10 secret places to hang out in the Granite State.

(Have ideas for the roundup? Reach web editor Kevin Deane at 369-3302 or email him at kdeane@cmonitor.com. Follow him on Twitter, @CM_KDeane.)

Legacy Comments0
There are no comments yet. Be the first!
Post a Comment

You must be registered to comment on stories. Click here to register.